-
Senior Member
registered user
is this a router or computer config issue?
network newbie + linux newbie = migraine
The setup: I have a cable modem, a basic 4-port wired linksys router and two computers. One network adapter on each computer. Everything "works" fine except... I have a problem with the ip addresses being consumed.
While trying to learn how to use ssh I discovered the local ip addresses on both machines were changing daily, going up, up up. After a few days they were using 192.168.1.107 & 108 respectively. Decided to take the spare puter offline, do a fresh install of latest kanotix on my main machine here and take it one step at a time. Rebooted cable modem and reset router to default. Spare puter is still offline, nothing should be using 192.168.1.100 or 101 but this machine is now up to 192.168.1.102. Why? Even using dhcp (for local), the router should issue the same ip unless it is taken by something else, no?
There is a metric ton of info out there on dhcp, static ip addresses and the like but it is a total blowout overload greymatterbufferoverrun for me. Where do I start?
-
Your answer is in the router setup. Use your web browser and type in http://(ip-address-of-router). surf the settings of your router. and make any necsessary changes
-
Senior Member
registered user
I changed router setup to allow only 2 ip addresses, so now it will at least limit the local to 100 or 101 and then if I can't connect both computers tomorrow there is something else wrong.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I didn't have to wait long. With the spare computer online and using 192.168.1.101, I rebooted the downstairs machine and it couldn't get an ip with dhcp broadcast. Got an error message along the lines of "no working leases in persistent directory". 192.168.1.100 was free. Why wouldn't it dish it out? Please help if you have an idea, I have been working of this almost a week (short by linux prob terms, I know) and it's more time than I can give to this anymore.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Router using all IP's
Your router sounds messed up is all....have you checke the lease settings on the router? How long do you have the dhcp lease set to?
Also, is your setup use mac filters or no? If so, I assume you haven't changed any nics in either PC?
If it were me, I would download and install the latest firmware update for your router or cntact them about it.
You PC's (or dhcp whichever way ya wanna look at it) should request the same Ip it was using before, thats the nature of dhcp, however, if that ip is not available the dhcp server will TELL the client to use this one...usually incremented by 1 until a free IP is found.
EI: PC uses 192.168.1.1 after reboot that IP is not available so after dhcp from the PC request's it, the dhcp server will deliver a nack(no)and send the next available IP to your PC incremented by 1.
This is normal dhcp server behavior.
Try setting up both PC's statically and turn the dhcp server of the router off....test, if after a few days you have no troubles then you KNOW it is the routers dhcp server that is in error and therefore the router manufacturer must fix it. Yes?
Curiousity demands I ask what type of router it is?
Cheers,
J
-
Junior Member
registered user
One more thing
Did you recentl;y install guarddog or a similar firewalling program, if so, you need to allow incoming and outgoing dhcp requests...somewhere in the network setup of the firewalling program you may or may not be using..
Cheers,
J
-
Senior Member
registered user
Thanks for the help and Yes, tech, I did install guarddog and it looks like a possible culprit here. Not understanding the dhcp settings in the advanced section of the program, I have disabled it for now.
When I first had issues I did upgrade the firmware on the router. It is a linksys. No PC uses IP 192.168.1.1 that is router's address, the gateway. I manually set up the ip address on the spare PC to use 192.168.1.101 in both linux and windows there. Windows on it has other issues left over from dialup and I plan to reimage those partitions.
Main PC so far has been getting correct IP. Still using DHCP both linux and windows on it. Lease I think is up any minute now so we will see. Lease setting is 0 which linksys says is one day. I didn't see any point in making it longer since if the IP is available, DHCP should dish it out again, no? The aggravating part of this is after one "use" it won't reuse it. Like it isn't being released or something? I am probably too networking-dumb or something but I have seen plenty of machines of customers merrily using DHCP in windows and not "running out" of addresses. So maybe a linux thing and in particular iptables (guarddog is just a front end after all).
-
Junior Member
registered user
Hey,
open up guarddog and click the advanced tab--check the box that says enable dhcp on interface's (eth0 by default)-if you have another interface you want to enable dhcp on then do ifconfig in a term window and scope out the interface you need eth1 or 2 or 3 or whatever...you need to enter them in the box,seperated by onje space I beleive, but I am sure that it will giove you the proper syntax in the help or man pages... I do not yet know the proper syntax myself...ah-the life of a newbie, I feel so stupid-if it was Winblows I could give you expert advice, I'm not reallty used to being on the reciving end of the advice...
save the settings, say yes to the update prompt, and try it again...someonme else will have to post the manula steps for pump release/renew -if there is such a thing-I am also a linux newbie so I don't know hardly anything yet.
Cheers,
J
-
Senior Member
registered user
you have been a great help tech! You don't seem like a newbie to me and I have been at this...gosh...almost a year now
but probably why you explained it in terms I understood. Everything I have googled up has been in linux engineer-speak or might as well be cyrillic or something
as I said, since I disabled sw firewall, I haven't had any ip addressing problems. When I saw the dhcp options in the advanced tab (I never go to "advanced" tab anything in linux) I figured that was what was happening. Odd though, the firewall was installed on main computer - not the spare and it was the spare that couldn't get an ip from dhcp broadcast. But will give a try with eth0...I have only one adapter in each machine and no firewire so it is eth0.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I spoke to soon.. AGAIN. Booted the main machine tonight and it pulled the next higher IP. It should've remained at 100, it was free. So, I shut it down. Booted spare that I have configured manually for 101 then booted the main machine. Sure enough, it broadcasted repeatedly, then finally said it was looking up the last recorded IP. It's about time. Ok, why isn't my PC doing that to BEGIN with? There is something wrong here. Thoughts?
Similar Threads
-
By Legless_Marine in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-05-2005, 04:13 AM
-
By killozap in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-29-2005, 08:41 AM
-
By arifsaha in forum Other Live CDs
Replies: 0
Last Post: 09-16-2005, 09:40 PM
-
By nishtya in forum Networking
Replies: 4
Last Post: 09-19-2004, 07:46 PM
-
By bongski55 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 6
Last Post: 09-06-2003, 05:58 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Dell PowerEdge R730XD 28 Core Server 2X Xeon E5-2680 V4 H730 32GB RAM No HDD
$378.93

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD
$275.00

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores / 64gb / Raid / 2x 1Tb
$374.99

Dell PowerEdge R240 Intel Xeon E-2224 3.50GHz 8GB DDR4 ECC NO HDD 250W
$285.97

Dell Poweredge R810 4x Xeon X7560 2.26ghz 32-Cores | 256GB | 3x Trays | H700
$289.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Core | HBA330 | No RAM or HDD
$149.99

Dell PowerEdge R730 8 Bay Server 64Gb 1x80Gb SSD 3x900Gb SAS 2x12c v4CPU Proxmox
$620.00

Dell PowerEdge R640 10SFF 2x Gold 6140 2.3GHz 36-Cores 64gb H730p 2x Trays
$599.99

Dell PowerEdge R530 2x E5-2630v4 H330 iDRAC8 Port Card Riser No PSU/RAM/HDD
$99.99

Dell Poweredge R630 2x Xeon E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 24-Cores | 32gb | HBA330 | 2x 1...
$324.99