Please do not install from runlevel 2 as previously suggested!
For me it automatically does it if I do a debian install... if I do a beginner install it doesnt automatically load... the cheatcodes I use are
knoppix26 alsa lang=us 2
then just do the install... hope this helps...
EDIT:
sorry runlevel 2 will not boot in gui (but you can still run the install from there)
I never even thought about that Sorri.
Please do not install from runlevel 2 as previously suggested!
It doesn't work? My bad in that case.Originally Posted by kelmo
Tried the instal from KDE a number of times with a variety of error messages. The beginners install seemed to work but would then hang on reboot with some message about the ramdisk, but when I tried the Debian install it booted into a KDE environment after throwing up a number of erroe messages - they went by a little too quick to read them.. However, this install appears to be the best, although it left me to configure the network. Sorry it's taken a while to get back but thanks again for the help - time to get acquainted with the Unix commandline!!Originally Posted by shah
Reg
Well, booting with the CD in another machine across a network was impressive. HD install was not. I am trying to fix all the problems.
How come I get:
root@0[knoppix]# ls -al /etc/rc5.d/
total 12
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 4096 Sep 28 16:18 .
drwxr-xr-x 150 root root 8192 Sep 29 13:59 ..
lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 16 Sep 28 16:18 S20cupsys -> ../init.d/cupsys
root@0[knoppix]#
????
I used the mid-Sept 3.6 with a "Debian" hd install. I did not get many options - far fewer menus that configuration parameters mentioned.
Knoppix is in danger of getting a serious problem: popularity combined with terrible security (sudo, root login shells, etc) combined with no documentation!
Alex
There's documentation...the web's full of it.Originally Posted by jalexstark
You have to set sudo up in knoppix before it works. So you don't have to enable it. And people don't have to look far to see people suggesting that users don't login as root. It's up to the user how secure it is...just like with Windows.
And alot of the configuration parameters for the hd-install are not in the gui. You have to edit the .knofig file.
Well, I am neither as clever nor as knowledgeable as you. For me, the mass of possibly-related information creates a fog. As I see it, the less that Knoppix's security is like Windows, the better.There's documentation...the web's full of it. You have to set sudo up in knoppix before it works. So you don't have to enable it. And people don't have to look far to see people suggesting that users don't login as root. It's up to the user how secure it is...just like with Windows.
The problem that I have is that the key HOWTOs and installer instructions did not guide me where I wanted to go. This was from terminal server boot to a HD install with a standard (KDM?) login (also to users with a home dir, the network running, and avoiding the major security risks).
I added my question to this thread because I was suffering from a (to me) curious lack of entries in my rc5.d directory. Plus I saw lots of worrying errors and warnings during install.
Maybe you could give me the benefit of your knowledge and point me to something that will guide an all-too ordinary user through the setup. I cannot be the only one having these difficulties, given the activity on this forum, but I would be willing to make a start at list of suggested tweaks, configurations and actions.
Alex.
I'm having troubles also. KDM won't start after hd-install
http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13848

16GB of Samsung (8GB x 2) DDR5 M378A2K43CB1 UDIMM PC5-4800B 288-Pin Unbuffered
$185.99
Sk Hynix 8GB PC4-3200AA PC4-3200 260-Pin SO-DIMM Laptop RAM
$37.99
OLOy 8GB DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 288-Pin DIMM Unbuffered RAM Module
$50.00
Corsair Vengeance CMSX16GX4M2A2666C18 8GB DDR4-2666 2pcs
$45.00
Kingston 32GB DDR4-3200MHz DIMM RAM KTH-PL432D8P/16G (2X16GB STICKS) sku 0055
$179.00
Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3000C15 Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000mhz Memory Kit - 32GB (2x16GB)
$164.95
RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00
Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB (4x16GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 Desktop RAM Kit
$259.99
LOT OF 23 Ram Sticks-Corsair Vengeance CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9 4GB (4GBx23=92GB Total)
$129.99
Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99