Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: New HD Overclockix Install Problems

  1. #1

    New HD Overclockix Install Problems

    Yesterday I installed Knoppix to a HD partition, but as it was 3.2, it could only run the outdated knx-install command. Therefore, I had difficulty getting my partition icons onscreen like I am used to with live-cd knoppix. I didn't want to download the newest Knoppix image, but noticed that I had a copy of Overclockix (complete with install-knoppix command) handy.

    So I put that on a partition and it works great. There are a couple problems, though, which I would be grateful if somebody could help me with.

    First, I like to clean up my desktop and only keep three drive icons on it (my Windows C partition, my E partition which I use as download/mp3 storage, my Linux partition and my CD-ROM) - the others (I have a number of other partitions) are rarely used. I put these other icons into a "Misc" folder on my desktop and everything is nice and neat. The problem is, when I reboot, all of the icons are recreated! How can I stop this?

    Also, on one of my networked computers (horrible E-Machines with onboard Intel graphics with a Samtron 75V monitor), it always loads up with an undesirable resolution (1152xI-Forget-Exactly). The computer isn't endowed with lots of RAM, so I want it to run at a quicker 800x600 res. When I change the res, though, it doesn't properly redraw the desktop (I lose the taskbar and a large chunk of the rest of the desktop!). I think, "OK, I need to reboot and it'll draw the desktop properly." Sure enough, when I reboot, it goes right back to 1152x???. Is there any way to actually save my configuration changes?

    I noticed as well that all of my Firefox tweaks (I close the Bookmarks taskbar, make yahoo my home page, etc) all disappear, too.

    I have a feeling that this can all be fixed with minimal effort, but I just don't know what to do!

    Thanks for any help,
    Dave

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    To keep your icons the way they were:

    chmod 0 /usr/bin/mkdesktophdicons

  3. #3
    Okay, I figured out how to save the config for the resolution (it's now at a much better 800x600).

    I still have the problem where everything I do gets lost when I reboot (ie. Mozilla Firefox settings and bookmarks, the USBMouse, SMBMount icons and "Release Notes" file keep getting put back on the desktop after reboot). I want them moved to a "Misc" folder on the desktop so they don't add to clutter. I tried running that chmod line that was offered by another user here, but it didn't help me...

    Is there some way I can turn off the autoconfig? Everything's configured the way I like it, I'm not adding any new hardware... I just want to make changes to fonts and whatnot and not lose them every time I reboot!

    Please help a newbie who's down on his luck,
    Dave

  4. #4
    Just another note, I have made sure that my drives are not marked "read only". Is there a possibility that my Firefox directory is still read only? That would seem to explain why it won't save my bookmarks or home page upon reboot.

    Dave

Similar Threads

  1. Overclockix cannot install to HD
    By digiplaya2005 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-31-2005, 03:10 PM
  2. Overclockix hd install.
    By kevtech in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-14-2005, 10:29 AM
  3. Overclockix 3.8
    By encryptedmatrix in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-01-2005, 04:39 PM
  4. Overclockix
    By jshah329 in forum General Support
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 03-23-2004, 08:27 PM
  5. Problems installing Knoppix and Overclockix
    By Drewby in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 04:24 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA picture

Dell Precision T7820 2x Xeon Silver 4114 2.20GHz 950W No RAM GPU HDD 4x SATA

$350.48



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU picture

INTEL XEON E5-2680V4 SR2N7 2.40GHZ CPU

$11.00



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid picture

DELL Precision 5820 Workstation Xeon W-2123 3.6ghz/NO RAM/NO SSD/P400 Vid

$139.99



Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz  8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER  picture

Genuine Intel Xeon W-2145 3.70Ghz 8 Cores LGA2066 CPU SR3LQ Tested USA SELLER

$94.94



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00



Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM picture

Dell PowerEdge FX2s + 8x FC430 Blades 16x E5-2630v4 160 Cores Rails No PSU/RAM

$699.00