Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: warnings during HD install

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    7

    warnings during HD install

    I just did a fresh install on my laptop as seen below, and although I don't see any obvious troubles yet, I figured I'd paste the warnings sent to the console during the installation process.

    Does any of this look familiar to anyone?

    -Rob

    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ sudo knoppix-installer
    Can't remove /usr/share/applications/./Ethereal.desktop: Read-only
    file system, skipping file.
    Can't remove /usr/share/applications/./EtherealAsRoot.desktop:
    Read-only file system, skipping file.
    Can't remove /usr/share/applications/./qtparted.desktop: Read-only
    file system, skipping file.
    Can't remove /usr/share/applnk/./Settings/Peripherals/kxconfig.desktop:
    Read-only file system, skipping file.
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    /dev/mapper/control: open failed: No such device
    Is device-mapper driver missing from kernel?
    Incompatible libdevmapper 1.00.19-ioctl (2004-07-03)(compat) and kernel driver
    Warning: '/proc/partitions' does not match '/dev' directory structure.
    Name change: '/dev/cloop0' -> '/dev/cloop'
    Warning: Unable to determine video adapter in use in the present system.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Yes they do. I had to set a password for root. Then the install went through. I don't know why but that's how I got around seeing those messages.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    83

    Re: warnings during HD install

    Quote Originally Posted by FatherBob
    Does any of this look familiar to anyone?
    Yes, I get the same warnings and 3.6 fails to boot for me (installing lilo in partition). All previous versions of Knoppix have installed fine. Did your 3.6 install actually boot ok? Did you do a MBR or partition install? There are a few mentions of this in the bugs list, see http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...3.6-2004-08-16

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    I tried about 5 times then it finally went through. Did testcd cheatcode before it finally worked. Everything booted fine for me and it all works great. Did an mbr install.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Mississippi
    Posts
    7

    Re: warnings during HD install

    Quote Originally Posted by markb
    Quote Originally Posted by FatherBob
    Does any of this look familiar to anyone?
    Yes, I get the same warnings and 3.6 fails to boot for me (installing lilo in partition). All previous versions of Knoppix have installed fine. Did your 3.6 install actually boot ok? Did you do a MBR or partition install? There are a few mentions of this in the bugs list, see http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.ph...3.6-2004-08-16
    Yes, it boots. In fact, I used it to make my initial post, as well as this one.

    I've yet to determine if everything's working properly. My only experiment so far has been an attempt to compile a simple 'hello world' C++ source file (with no success and some puzzlement).

    Oh, and I did MBR install.

Similar Threads

  1. Lilo warnings about device-mapper
    By brodders in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-19-2004, 01:58 AM
  2. depmod - Warnings after installing ALSA
    By netromancer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-11-2003, 11:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day picture

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day

$188.24



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00