Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: New to Knoppix some general questions

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    da UP
    Posts
    14

    New to Knoppix some general questions

    Knoppix won't remember my modem:
    /dev/modem connection setup (serial/USB/IRDA/Bluetooth) has to be run each time I run Knoppix. It isn't a big hassle but if I didn't have to do that it would be swell.

    I have a USR hardware 56 k modem

    After I make changes to my desktop, etc. Do I need to run "save knoppix configuration" each time? Or is once enough.

    Also If I set my wallpaper from a drive that is NTFS will Knoppix remeber it?

    I know these aren't technical networking questions but if I'm going to use Knoppix I need to solve these problems.

    Thanks,

    Quip Frok

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: New to Knoppix some general questions

    Quote Originally Posted by Quip Frok
    Knoppix won't remember my modem:
    /dev/modem connection setup (serial/USB/IRDA/Bluetooth) has to be run each time I run Knoppix. It isn't a bug hassle but if I didn't have to do that it would be swell.

    I have a USR hardware 56 k modem

    After I make changes to my desktop, etc. Do I need to run "save knoppix configuration" each time? Or is once enough.

    Also If I set my wallpaper from a drive that is NTFS will Knoppix remeber it?

    I know these aren't technical networking questions but if I'm going to use Knoppix I need to solve these problems.

    Thanks,

    Quip Frok
    If you have a persistent home set up, changes to your desktop etc will be 'saved' automatically since your 'home' directory is no longer on the CD, it is on the HD. Otherwise, you will have to 'save config' to wherever your config file is each time you make changes.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    What kind of installation did you do? beginner, knoppix or debian.

  4. #4
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    da UP
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by rrfish72
    What kind of installation did you do? beginner, knoppix or debian.
    3.4 booting from CD with persistant home on Fat32 drive.

    I never saw any options for beginner or debian

    Quip

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    da UP
    Posts
    14

    Re: New to Knoppix some general questions

    If you have a persistent home set up, changes to your desktop etc will be 'saved' automatically since your 'home' directory is no longer on the CD, it is on the HD. Otherwise, you will have to 'save config' to wherever your config file is each time you make changes.
    I have a persistent home. Still my wallpaper isn't remembered

    Thanks

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Wallpaper would be save config.

    jd

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    da UP
    Posts
    14
    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    Wallpaper would be save config.

    jd
    Yes it would. Still the wallpaper isn't displayed. What does happen though is the desktop has most of what I set but not all. If I logout, rather than restart, the wallpaper IS displayed. I trying to get my mitts on 3.7

    An interesting aside. I have two computers one is an AMD 64 3000 the other is an AMD 1700+. They are connected via KVM and the 1700 doesn't have the wallpaper issue.

    I'd still like to know from anyone what's up with the modem not being recalled properly.


    Thanks for your reply

    Quip

Similar Threads

  1. Some general questions
    By Wrincle in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-15-2004, 04:12 AM
  2. general knoppix questions, new user
    By ishaim in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 07-27-2004, 06:56 AM
  3. Some general questions
    By Sebastian Mares in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-28-2004, 12:55 PM
  4. HDD Install great, Few general questions please?
    By jbrush in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-09-2003, 06:45 PM
  5. Lots of General questions about remastering
    By arkaine23 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-24-2003, 03:12 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$100.00



Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2 picture

Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2

$135.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -

$36.99



Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5

Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A

$49.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$99.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive picture

Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive

$42.99



Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 120GB 256GB 1TB 2TB Internal SSD 2.5'' SATAIII 6Gb/s Solid State Drive lot

$119.99



Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5

Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD

$29.99