-
Junior Member
registered user
Question about dd-rescue (sorry, this may be a re-post...)
Hi,
Does anyone know what dd-rescue does with the "holes" -- i.e. does it fill them with junk and preserve the offset of the readable data that follows?
Basically, I'm using Knoppix to rescue my wife's damaged NTFS partition. Her operating system won't even boot, but I'm able to view the files with Knoppix and copy them to another system over a network or just burn them directly with k3b.
However -- some of the files can't be read (I/O errors -- presumably why her operating system can't mount the partition). More specifically -- _parts_ of those files can't be read. I would like to try to retrieve these files anyway. What I want to do is, for each file, to wind up with a file of the same length, along with any data that could be copied from the damaged file in its right offset. Granted, there would be "holes" in each file, for the parts that couldn't be read. But I don't think it would do me much good if the "holes" were dropped -- because then the offset would be wrong from anything after the first hole.
Are there any other tools I should look at?
Thanks,
Yonatan
Note: This may be a re-post; I fogot to enter a subject the 1st time and couldn't find my post on the forum.
Similar Threads
-
By smokeyone in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-14-2005, 07:24 PM
-
By gum digger in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-27-2005, 12:15 PM
-
By bigjohn in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 18
Last Post: 10-04-2003, 06:43 PM
-
By dfield58 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 3
Last Post: 04-19-2003, 06:30 PM
-
Replies: 1
Last Post: 03-31-2003, 09:59 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

2024 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$89.99

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot
$269.10

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC
$49.99

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack
$826.09

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB
$8.47

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s
$39.80

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick
$218.79

2021 Full Version Office Professional Plus for 1 PC Flash USB Drive
$59.99

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service
$39.99