Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11

Thread: Change OS read only file to read/write after "poor man'

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5

    Change OS read only file to read/write after "poor man'

    I have installed Knoppix 3.6 with "poor man's installation" on hdb1. Is there any way to change the OS read only file to read/write with this installation?

    Thank you

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5
    As root, I cannot install a drive for my modem. Even after making hdb1 and the file writable under properties. When trying to install I get this message: cannot create regular file/usr/sbin/hsfinf2bin' : read only file system. And when trying to use login manager I get: configuration file "/etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc not writable.

    I really need some help here!
    Thank you

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    I really don't think you can. Knoppix protects itself from modifications while it is running. You need to write to a different partition.

    You mentioned that this is hdb1. What's on hda? Can you install Knoppix to hda1, and leave hdb1 for your data?

    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/WinPartition

    jd

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    1,159
    You cannot make the filesystem writeable because it resides in a compressed file which is read-only.

    Quote Originally Posted by j.drake
    Knoppix protects itself from modifications while it is running. You need to write to a different partition.
    Well, at least in my poor man's install on reiserfs I can make the boot partition writeable by doing
    Code:
    mount /cdrom -o remount,rw
    as root or inside knoppix.sh

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5
    Gentlemen;

    I installed hdb for Linux use only and have partioned it as follows; hdb1 OS, hdb2 as swap, and hdb3 as PH. While running from the CD I changed hdb1 to rw with "mount dev/hdb1 -vfat -o remount rw" and supposedly it became rw. But on "mount" it still show's ro. I want to install Linux as an alternant OS but would like to get this going first if possible! If I use this version will I have the same problem with a dual boot using a boot loader? If I cannot access the internet because I cannot install a modem driver it would be unacceptable.

    Thank you,

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    If you just need to dash in and add something to hdb1, you could always boot with a live CD (ie, don't use the fromhd cheatcode). Since you are running off of live CD, you can do whatever you want to hdb1, then log off and restart WITH the fromhd cheatcode.

    I can't assure you that the modification you make will work, but you should at least be able to write to hdb1. PMIs are better adapted to cases in which the user doesn't want to have to change the program, but you could certainly add programs to the partition if you wish.

    I will defer to probono on how to get it to work together.

    jd

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    5
    Gentleman ;

    The first line in the OS exe. Program is "modeprobe cloop file =$0 && mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/cloop $1". And as long as that remains as is, it will (I believe) remain ro. I really do not (at this time) want to get into programming. All I want is to install a modem driver. If there is any way , with this version of Linux , to do this please inform me. If not then I need to move on to a version that will allow it. Any and all suggestions will be appreciated!

    Thank you very much!

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    Quote Originally Posted by Needtoknow
    Program is "modeprobe cloop file =$0 && mount -r -t iso9660 /dev/cloop $1". And as long as that remains as is, it will (I believe) remain ro.
    I'm not terribly familiar with this, but I DO know that the "-r" flag in the mount command means to mount the drive as read only. Perhaps you will accomplish what you want to accomplish by removing that flag.

    Good luck

    jd

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1

    Another clue.

    i've took the clue of j.d, did mount, i've seen mounted devices and /dev/cloop on /KNOPPIX type iso9660 (ro) between them. so i've tried to remount it: mount -t iso9660 -o remount rw, /KNOPPIX, then mount once again and /KNOPPIX was (rw) now. but the knoppix still couldn't create a file in /usr/local/lib. any answers?

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    I don't think you can install a modem driver or anything else unless to a PMI you do it from klik.
    Or perhaps you can fake a klik-type installation: As I understand it a klik application is actually installed on the /home directory but, since the O/S expects that certain parts of the application will be located in a certain place (eg libXXX in /usr/lib/), klik creates a /home/usr/lib directory then links to the main dir so that the O/S will consider /home/usr/lib the same as /usr/lib. Might take some fiddling to install your modem driver as a klik-type install but might be possible.
    It will NOT be possible to do a normal install even if you can get the drive to mount rw. The reason is that the operating system is all buried in the 700 MB compressed file KNOPPIX and to make any changes to the O/S would require more than just a simple save, it would require re-creation of a new changed compressed file system. This is what is be done when making a changed Knoppix 'remaster'.
    In normal operation changes are impossible so Knoppix doesn't even do a 'save' on the O/S files, much less a 'create compressed file system'.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. HOW-TO: get read/write access to HD?
    By kevingpo in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 11-08-2005, 10:48 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-12-2005, 12:12 AM
  3. Poor Man's Install - Can't change read/write mode
    By Nick889 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 05:00 AM
  4. can't change read/write mode on HDD
    By Dioran in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-16-2003, 08:21 PM
  5. how can i edit a "read only" file (/etc/*.conf)
    By t0rp3d0 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2003, 09:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day picture

RED HAT ENTERPRISE LINUX 5 SERVER RHF0382US-R1 for PC x86 AMD 64 INTEL 64 30 Day

$188.24



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server picture

1U Rackmount PC Intel Core i5-2520M 8GB RAM 500GB HDD Ubuntu Linux Server

$109.99



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99