Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 13

Thread: Enable WEP on Orinoco Gold

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7

    Enable WEP on Orinoco Gold

    I am running knoppix 3.1. Everything runs fine except for the wireless netwerkcard (Orinoco Gold). I runs well when WEP is disabled, but when I enter a key for WEP, then I cannot reach the access point anymore. Anyone any ideas?

    Ton

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    how do you set it ?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7
    I can set the WEP key from the KDE menu (I am not sure about the exact name, something Knoppix, Config, Network), there is an entry for network config and wireless config. In both entries one of the questions is to enter a WEP key (or blank for no key).
    Is there an other way to set the WEP key?

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    I use the KNOPPIX->network config(or something like that) on the KDE desktop.

    make sure your key is entered in the correct format "sxxxx" where xxxxxx is the 40bit code as you would have entered in Window.

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7
    I have just it without the 's:' prefix. I will try this tonight. Where does the s stand for, and are there any other options?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    I don't know why the wireless package author design it that way but that is how it must be entered. Without the "s:" prefix, it just doesn't work.

    Linux still needs lots of polishing before it can be considered as the alternative on average desktop.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7
    The 's:' prefix does not help, I still cannot connect to the access point. My access point has 128 bit WEP key. You mentioned a 40 bit key. Can I use a 128 bit key?

  8. #8
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    17
    I can't speak to the Orinoco card, but I use 'wlcardconfig' to configure my Cisco wlan card. I have 128bit WEP configured on my AP and I simply enter the hex digits in the Key box (without the usual 0x for hex).

    I'm not sure if the 's:' is something specific to the orinoco driver, but I've not seen that before.

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7
    Quote Originally Posted by tslewe
    The 's:' prefix does not help, I still cannot connect to the access point. My access point has 128 bit WEP key. You mentioned a 40 bit key. Can I use a 128 bit key?
    I got WEP finally working with my D-Link DWL-650 PCMCIA card and Knoppix v3.2 using a 64 bit key. I entered it using the "Wavelan Configuration" (Under "Knoppix -> Network/Internet) at the "Enter the Encryption key" window. I found that the format XX:XX:XX:XX:XX worked and not XXXXXXXXXX. I think to enter a 128 bit key you would just follow the same pattern for all the digits.

    Hope it helps.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    7
    I use the same "Knoppix -> Network/Internet/Wavelan Configuration: Enter the Encryption key" window to enter the WEP key. Although I first have to configure the network card (In the same menu), before I can access the wireless card.
    I found out that the s: prefix can be used to specify a string (0-9, A-Z), otherwise hex digits (0-9, A-F) are expected. In the manual pages I also found a format like XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XXXX-XX for entering a key. I will try your solution tonight, and will also try a 64 bit key (instead of the 128 bit key I have tried until now).

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Lucent Orinoco gold card problems
    By Jberryman in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-03-2005, 12:48 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: 09-18-2004, 09:19 PM
  3. Configuring Orinoco Gold PCMCIA card
    By al_mckin in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-10-2004, 12:42 AM
  4. wireless Ad-hoc, 2 IBM Thinkpads, Orinoco Gold
    By fluppel in forum Networking
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 05-08-2004, 06:43 PM
  5. Orinoco Gold B/G card and knoppix
    By xenoxaos in forum Networking
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 12-21-2003, 10:54 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened picture

TP-Link TL-SX105 10GB 5-Port Switch - Unopened

$195.00



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP picture

Extreme Networks 10GE X440-G2-24P-10GE4 16533 24Plus-Ports POE+ Switch UP

$127.00



TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern picture

TP-Link TL-SG105, 5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Network Hub, Ethern

$15.25



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$14.86



TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed picture

TP-Link TL-SG1048 48-Port Gigabit Rackmount Switch New Factory Sealed

$199.99



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99