Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Knoppix 3.8.1 unable to find my home folder

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    1

    Knoppix 3.8.1 unable to find my home folder

    Hi

    I have been running knoppix 3.6 for months on my PC with a home folder on my hard-drive.

    In order to boot knoppix 3.6, I normally do:

    boot: knoppix26 home=/dev/sdb5/knoppix

    and this has served me well for months.

    Over the weekend, I managed to get a copy of knoppix 3.8.1. At first, I booted it without any settings in order to confirm that the location of my home folder is still /dev/sdb5/knoppix. Then I rebooted but this time with the following parameters:

    boot: knoppix home=/dev/sdb5/knoppix

    But knoppix 3.8.1 is unable to locate my home folder?

    I have two hard drives on this PC, both are SATA drives and both have multiple partitions. The partition from on which my knoppix home folder resides is formatted as ext3.

    Does anyone know why knoppix 3.6 has no problem finding my home folder but knoppix 3.8.1 is unable to locate and use it?

    I have tried home=scan (though I think it isn't appropriate here) but with no success.

    I have tried to create another "persistent setting" but knoppix 3.8.1 is only offering to allow me to create an img file? It isn't giving me an option to use one of my existing partitions (yeah, I know it would have wiped the home folder but I was desperate at the time). I did initially accept the option to create an image file but then I couldn't find my home folder with knoppix 3.6 until I deleted knoppix.img I think knoppix 3.6 was defaulting to knoppix.img as the home folder until I removed it.

    I am now back using knoppix 3.6 with my home folder on /dev/sdb5/knoppix (I had similar troubles with knoppix 3.7). Does anyone know why it appears that only knoppix 3.6 is able to find and use one of my partitions as its home folder and none of the later versions can do this?

    Thanks

    kayodeok

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Posts
    4
    try knoppix v 3.8.2 it can read your sata hard disk

Similar Threads

  1. unable to find knoppix filesystem
    By modemman11 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-07-2008, 07:30 PM
  2. problems with the home folder when remastering
    By hennewou in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-21-2006, 11:13 PM
  3. unable to copy a folder to USB pen drive
    By malicej in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-12-2005, 05:07 PM
  4. Accessing "My Documents" folder on WinXP Home with
    By silence in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 12-14-2004, 08:40 PM
  5. unable to find cdrecord executable
    By extradudeguy in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 10-20-2003, 02:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Apple HyperCard M0556 Macintosh Software 1987 Factory Sealed NEW NOS picture

Vintage Apple HyperCard M0556 Macintosh Software 1987 Factory Sealed NEW NOS

$99.00



Vintage Microsoft Windows 95 Full Retail Version COMPLETE 3.5

Vintage Microsoft Windows 95 Full Retail Version COMPLETE 3.5" Floppy Disks Box

$100.00



RARE-Vintage Emachines Monster 500A-Pentium III-256MB Ram 4.3GB HDD No OS *READ* picture

RARE-Vintage Emachines Monster 500A-Pentium III-256MB Ram 4.3GB HDD No OS *READ*

$299.99



Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E picture

Vintage Desktop No Brand-Pentium 4-512MB Ram 40GB HDD ATI R200 Fire GFx OS W98E

$139.99



RESTORED Windows XP Vintage Retro Classic Gaming PC Lenovo ThinkCentre picture

RESTORED Windows XP Vintage Retro Classic Gaming PC Lenovo ThinkCentre

$499.95



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



VINTAGE Silicon Graphics SGI IRIS Indigo R3000 CMNB003 New Battery No Hard Drive picture

VINTAGE Silicon Graphics SGI IRIS Indigo R3000 CMNB003 New Battery No Hard Drive

$999.99



RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller picture

RAM-Tester for vintage RAM, 4816, 4164, 41256, 514402, and more - USA Seller

$35.00



Vintage Iwill XA100 Plus Super Socket 7 Motherboard + K6-III 450 + 896mb READ picture

Vintage Iwill XA100 Plus Super Socket 7 Motherboard + K6-III 450 + 896mb READ

$179.99



Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used picture

Vintage NEC CDR-1410A 50 Pin SCSI CD-ROM Optical Drive Used

$39.99