when you boot the knoppix cd: what ist the error message? Or is it possible to boot and you aren't able to install?
Hello All,
I am a newbie to both Linux but was recommended to this site by a friend who said that I can use Knoppix to install Debian (Sarge).
My problem is that I am trying to install Knoppix to the HDD without any success.
My Dell has 2 x 36GB SCSI Drives with RAID I (MegaRaid Card)
Broadcom NIC
Has anyone got a custom ISO that I can download or point me in the right direction?
Thanks very much
El Kabong
when you boot the knoppix cd: what ist the error message? Or is it possible to boot and you aren't able to install?
Hello Schrippe,
Thanks for your reply.
I am able to Boot from the Knoppix CD and Install to HDD. However, after the installation I reboot the machine and gives an "Kernel Panic" error
regards
El Kabong
shit,
so kernel panic: unable to mount fs message?
when yes you must enable in the /etc/mkinitrd/modules the megaraid driver, only edit with vi and fill the line megaraid in the file.
before, you must start from cd and mount the sda1 (i think) to /mnt
"mount /dev/sda /mnt "
then make a "chroot /mnt /bin/bash" and look in the /etc/lilo.conf to see, what initrd image is used in the default section.
then you must "mkinitrd -o /boot/imagename" and "lilo" and then an reboot.
Hello again,
I will try your suggestion tomorrow but when I reboot from HDD the installation does not recognise my:
MegaRaid SCSI or my Broadcom NIC. I get the error after MODPROBE failure or something like that.
I really wish there was some kind of Knoppix iso for the Dell Poweredge that I could download.
Thanx again
El Kabong
hmm.. it should recognize the broadcom network dealio (im on it right now actually)... I am using Kanotix which is the samething as Knoppix so there shouldnt be a problem..
Which version of knoppix are you using??
Hi Prohan,
I am using Knoppix 3.4 on a Dell Poweredge 1750 with 2 x SCSI Drives, MegaRaid controller.
Interestly, I have managed to install Knoppix on a Generic Machine with no problems at all. Therefore I would be greatful for any assistance with this Dell.
Thanks
El Kabong
Try downloading another setup file from a different mirror...
I have the latest Knoppix ISO, but it fails to load on a Dell Poweredge 1750 unless I disable scsi detection. (knoppix noscsi) Unfortunately, what I'm using it for is to dupe a hard disk, so this isn't good.
When I let it detect for SCSI, the first thing it does is:
"Probing SCSI... eata.o"
And that's it, that's where it dies/hangs. It has the megaraid controller, but it's disabled in favor of plain scsi drives. I've also installed Trustix without problem on the scsi drives, so not sure if that can help. The box in question also has the BIOS verson A08. Thanks for any advice.

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray
$174.99
AMD Ryzen 7 PRO 8700GE 8-Core/16-Thread Up to 5.1GHz AM5 (FL1)
$175.00
Clear Touch Interactive Module CTI PCMOD PC55 ST i5 6core,8GB DDR4,256GB SSD NEW
$225.00
Apple Mac Pro Model A1481 Computer 8core Intel Xeon E5 64 GB Storage 500 G2U
$189.99
SRF8X Intel Xeon Gold 6240 18 Core 2.60GHz 24.75MB 150W Processor CPU
$19.99
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D 8-Core 3.4GHz Socket AM4 CPU Processor….
$309.99
AMD Ryzen 7 9850X3D 8-Core 16-Thread 5.6GHz 120W AM5 CPU 100-100001973WOF
$435.99
AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked
$69.99
Dell OptiPlex 3080 MT Intel Core i5-10500 3.10 GHz 8 GB DDR4 Desktop No HDD
$129.99
Apple Mac Mini M1 256GB SSD 8GB Unified RAM 8-Core GPU 2020 A2348
$499.00