Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Knoppix 3.2 won't work in text-mode (ATI 9700+widescreen)

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4

    Knoppix 3.2 won't work in text-mode (ATI 9700+widescreen)

    I recently bought a Fujitsu Siemens A1360 laptop, and want to run Knoppix on it. My graphics driver is an ATI 9700 Mobility Pro (128 Mb dedicated), and I have a 1280x800 wide screen.

    This is the weird thing: when I boot up with the CD, the screen is absolutely blank. Can't see the penguin, can't see the autodetection, nothing. However, it boots fine, because I can see the boot-screen, and then KDE works perfectly as well. Except, of course, when I switch to one of the terminal modes.

    Would getting a new version of Knoppix solve my problem? The version I have is what I used for my old laptop: it dual-boots Debian (from Knoppix) and Windows 2000. My aim is to dual-boot Knoppix and WinXP Home (it shipped with the laptop). However, I don't know very much about Linux, so any advice is welcome.

    Thank you in advance for any help!

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4
    Sorry - it's an Amilo A1630, not 1360... Here are the rest of the specs:

    AMD 64 3400+ processor
    1 Gb RAM
    80 Gb HDD
    DVD+RW

    Thanks in advance for any help.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    555
    It's probably just the default console frame-buffer mode (791) which is not supported on your system. Try booting with "knoppix vga=normal"

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4

    Solved it!

    Independently of your reply, I managed to burn Knoppix 3.6 on a disk, and it works. Will stick with the new version, like the new eye-candy in kde. Thanks!

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2

    wxga

    Sir,
    Can you please post that build to boot with 1280x800.
    Thanks in adv

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    4

    Re: wxga

    Quote Originally Posted by joesucks
    Sir,
    Can you please post that build to boot with 1280x800.
    Thanks in adv
    I did get Knoppix 3.6 to work first-time on my laptop, but couldn't get 1280x800 with KDE, unfortunately. I'm sure it's possible to get it to work, but I haven't spent much time on it.

    I've since moved to Gentoo, and am now running 64-bit Linux. The KDE that came with Gentoo automagically detected 1280x800, but I believe it still only boots in 1024x768. Unfortunately I can't give more specifice information: it's at home now, and I'm in the office (and I'm still a newbie!).

    I know the normal resolutions look awful -- if you have any questions, I am very happy to help. Do you have a fujitsu as well, or another laptop?

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    2

    Re: wxga

    Quote Originally Posted by alet_roux
    Quote Originally Posted by joesucks
    Sir,
    Can you please post that build to boot with 1280x800.
    Thanks in adv
    I did get Knoppix 3.6 to work first-time on my laptop, but couldn't get 1280x800 with KDE, unfortunately. I'm sure it's possible to get it to work, but I haven't spent much time on it.

    I've since moved to Gentoo, and am now running 64-bit Linux. The KDE that came with Gentoo automagically detected 1280x800, but I believe it still only boots in 1024x768. Unfortunately I can't give more specifice information: it's at home now, and I'm in the office (and I'm still a newbie!).

    I know the normal resolutions look awful -- if you have any questions, I am very happy to help. Do you have a fujitsu as well, or another laptop?

    Thanks for replying I have Dell D800, Windoze works alright on it but KDE (Knoppix default) has several issues including the Alt+F1 screens not being visible which just ticks me off because i have never had a problem with any Linux before.

Similar Threads

  1. USB and text mode
    By Jesse555 in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-10-2004, 07:52 AM
  2. TEXT MODE..............
    By rquiggle in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-20-2004, 11:24 AM
  3. Is there any way to start Knoppix on text mode?
    By xuejm1225 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-21-2004, 05:05 AM
  4. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-11-2004, 04:03 PM
  5. how do i boot into text mode?
    By jerome187 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-12-2003, 05:17 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$239.99



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad T495 14” Laptop AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Windows 11

$229.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro

$319.99



Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14

Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 1 14" AMD Ryzen 5 16GB 256GB SSD

$219.99



Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 picture

Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11

$374.99



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2i 14" 16GB 512GB, Black

$313.00



Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2 14

Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2 14" 16GB, Thunder Black

$387.46



Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6

Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black

$241.50



Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI picture

Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI

$144.00