Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Question - Poor Man's + Lilo

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7

    Question - Poor Man's + Lilo

    Hello!

    What I would like to do is a poor man's install (basically using the tohd option), but install lilo on the MBR so I can boot straight from the HD without having to use the CD. How can I do this? From what I've read, the poor man's is the easy part:

    knoppix26 tohd=/dev/hda3

    Once I get there, is there any way to edit lilo.conf and then /sbin/lilo and have it install to the MBR? Or is there more to it than that?

    (Just in case you're wondering, I'm lazy...I don't want to look for the CD every time I boot, but I also don't want to do a full hard drive install...call me crazy )

    Thanks,

    Josh

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7
    I should add that I am NOT dual-booting with Windows. I will use all Linux partitions for this, with Knoppix as my only OS.

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    28
    I'm still quite a newbie in Linux. But yes, I have tried this and it works perfectly. If I remember correctly, something similar is already mentioned in "HD Based How To". See here http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/HdBasedHowTo (look at 1.2).

    I used this method on smaller hard disks (< 2GB in size) and also a 1GB flash drive. I must say that I love the flash drive KNOPPIX machine!

    HTH.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    7
    Ahh, RTFM strikes again Thanks for the link!

    Josh

Similar Threads

  1. Poor Man's DVD Install
    By xfiles in forum Knoppix DVD
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-02-2005, 06:20 AM
  2. Poor Man's Install on a VFAT boot with LILO
    By Radfahrer in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-07-2005, 04:29 PM
  3. Trouble doing poor man's for 3.7
    By eculbert2 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 05-21-2005, 06:49 PM
  4. Can't get poor man's install to work.Need help with lilo.co
    By Vanyatka in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 10-05-2004, 05:33 AM
  5. Poor man's install???
    By Obsidian in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-28-2003, 06:34 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1

$102.99



Samsung 2.5

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot

$90.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99



Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5

Micron MTFDDAK256TBN 256 GB, Internal ,2.5" SSD

$23.00



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health picture

Samsung 256 GB Internal SATA SSD Fully Tested 50%-79% Health

$24.00



Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot picture

Samsung New SSD 970 EVO Plus 2TB 1TB 500GB 250GB NVMe M2 Internal Hard Drive Lot

$79.99



SSD 2.5

SSD 2.5" SATA Hard Drive for Laptop Desktop Windows 10 pro 64 Pro Pre-installed

$42.00