-
boot problems with hd and cd-rom
Hi,
I have tried to boot from CD with the new koppix 3.6.
I have a hd on IDE primary master and the CD-ROM on IDE secondary master. There are no slaves (
)
When booting, knoppix recognizies the hd as hda, and the CD-rom as hdc, then tries to scan for cd-rom (dev/s???) and freezes...
IMHO, knoppix shold NOT recognize the cd-rom as hdc.... that seems to be the problem
Is this a bug or is there anything I could do to complete the boot process..
tia
michaa
-
Senior Member
registered user
hda=primary master
hdb=primary slave
hdc=secondary master
hdd=secondary slave
where is the problem? the CD SHOULD be called HDC, the problem is that the emulation is not needed in 2.6 kernel and therefore is not needed. this is a known bug that is being worked on.
try the noscisi cheatcode,
-
hdc=Cd-950E/TKU
..ok, it is confusing for me, because It is a CD-Rom, NOT a hd and I thought this was the reason for freezing while scanning for cd-rom...
I will try the cheat code ( I did before, but it seem as if I used a wrong syntax)
thanx
michaa
-
Senior Member
registered user
whan you see the boot: line type: knoppix26 atapicd (or knoppix atapicd)
i somehow reverted to 3.3 ways here, sorry my wrong.
-
still not working
I tried "knoppix noscsi" and "knoppix26 noscsi"
both recognize the CD-Rom as hdc
and
both hang after:
Looking for CDROM: \dev\scd0
I was waiting some minutes...
What can I do?
My system:
pentium 200 mmx
654 mb RAM
michaa
-
Senior Member
registered user
Anything on the IDE channel is called hdx (with x being a,b,c,d) according to where it is on the channel. It has nothing to do with the type of drive. Linux knows the difference.
did you try atapicd along with [b]noscsi[/b[?
Similar Threads
-
By fishjg in forum General Support
Replies: 3
Last Post: 09-04-2004, 09:10 PM
-
By philski27 in forum Laptops
Replies: 4
Last Post: 06-04-2004, 02:54 PM
-
By Linuxguy in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 02-06-2004, 07:00 PM
-
By Loper in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 07-11-2003, 02:38 AM
-
By _CaLeB_ in forum Hardware & Booting
Replies: 5
Last Post: 03-31-2003, 06:20 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Windows XP, Vista, 8.1, Linux Knoppix, Office XP, (6 CDS)
$10.00

KNOPPIX 9.1 Linux Install & Live DVD 32bit & 64bit
$19.99

KNOPPIX USB DVD OS , BEST OF ALL HIGHLY RECOMENDED
$11.99

Knoppix Live GNU Linux System 9.1 on Bootable CD / DVD / USB Flash Drive
$5.99

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 16G USB Stick
$20.85

Knoppix NSM 1.2
$8.00

VINTAGE SOFTWARE | KNOPPIX STD 0.1 (SECURITY TOOLS DISTRIBUTION)
$7.57

Knoppix Linux Bootable OS v8.6 "Original Live Operating System" 32G USB Stick
$21.42

Hamshack Live DVD-ROM
$7.00

Knoppix 5.0.1 ULTRA RARE Linux DVD - Linux Pro Extra August 2006
$33.98