24 MB is cutting it a bit thin even with the desktop=fluxbox cheatcode. KDE is probably out of the question. You might want to check out this one: http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/486.html
Hi I have an old system with only 24 mbs of ram and I was wondering if there was anyway to force the computer to run in graphical mode and not text mode, or if there was another type of linux out there that would allow me to run it on my computer in graphical mode.
24 MB is cutting it a bit thin even with the desktop=fluxbox cheatcode. KDE is probably out of the question. You might want to check out this one: http://www.damnsmalllinux.org/486.html
I tried it with 200 mb swap space and it didn't work... could I really need more?
I think 300 would be a better amount, plus the PC is proably slow given the ram. I think DSL would be a better alternative as it is smaller and therefore well suited for these kind of PCs.Originally Posted by Jaguar600
(DSL = Damnsmalllinux, they're ttrying to change it for use in schools and such.)
300 mb didn't work either. Is there a command or something I need to type into the root console or does it automaticaly boot into kde?
at boot (when you see the knoppix screen)Originally Posted by Jaguar600
type knoppix desktop=fluxbox

GIGABYTE A520M DS3H AC AMD AM4 Motherboard mATX
$59.99
GIGABYTE Z790 AORUS ELITE AX LGA 1700 Intel Z790 ATX Motherboard with DDR5
$189.99
Intel H310 LGA1151 8-9th Gen DDR4 M.2 NVMe mATX Motherboard IO Shield Battery
$54.99
ASUS PRIME Z490-V Motherboard Intel Z490 10th gen DDR4 LGA 1200 ATX w/ IO Shield
$84.99
ASUS PRIME B360M-C MicroATX Intel LGA1151 DDR4 HDMI VGA USB RJ-45 Audio
$34.99
MSI B550M PRO-VDH Micro-ATX Motherboard - AMD AM4, Ryzen 5000/4000/3000 Ready, P
$71.49
GIGABYTE B365 HD3 LGA1151 Intel 9th Gen motherboard
$59.99
MSI - B550M PRO-VDH WIFI (Socket AM4) AMD B550 MATX DDR4 Wi-Fi 6 Motherboard ...
$89.99
ASRock IMB-X1314 LGA 1700 Intel W680 DDR4 Quad display Micro-ATX Motherboard
$351.99
ASUS B85M-G / B85M-G PLUS LGA1150 DDR3 Micro ATX Motherboard HDMI Support 4thCPU
$45.00