Does anyone know anything about the power usage of knoppix (please give specific version unless general info) or the power usage of MS Dos 5, Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, or XP Pro? I need the info for a science fair project.![]()
Does anyone know anything about the power usage of knoppix (please give specific version unless general info) or the power usage of MS Dos 5, Windows 3.1, 95, 98, 2000, or XP Pro? I need the info for a science fair project.![]()
Power as in Watts?Originally Posted by Steven Hair
Becuase Power usage if noramlly defined with the amount of hardware. So if ran on the same machine, the only thing that would cause a power difference is the amount of CPU usage really. Dos by default uses the least. (I say default because all the others use GUI's)
Though I doubt the difference would be a significant amount.
This is a difficult to answer question. Power consumption depends on mostly hardware. One might think DOS being so bare use less power ? Try to do an experiement on a notebook and boot a linux that is not bootable(because of whatever error and halt at init). The fan would turn on very soon even you are not running anything. This is related to power saving feature of modern day hardware. Without the proper OS, they would be there doing nothing but still consume quite some energy.
So I won't be surprise to see two identical machine one running DOS, another XP and that the XP one use less power, as DOS may not have the facility to turn off the HD, or the screen and for some mobile GPU.
On a desktop which don't have any power saving device, the difference may be minimal with DOS may be using less but should be almost the same on idle.
So I would say this question itself is a bit off.
Thanks a lot. This helps me a little bit. I thought that dos would use the least, too...

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00
Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$99.99
MTC8C1084S1SC56BD1 Micron 16GB DDR5 1Rx8 PC5-5600B 5600Mhz SO-DIMM Memory
$149.99
A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68
32GB KIT - 2x SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2666V DDR4 SODIMM Laptop Memory RAM
$99.99
Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99
Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00
Crucial Laptop Ram 32GB (2x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz CT16G4SFRA32A
$119.99
Micron 32GB 1x32GB DDR5 5600 CL46 ECC Unbuffered SO-DIMM MTC20C2085S1TC56BD1
$399.00
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM
$43.00