Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 45

Thread: Synaptic "dist-upgrade" Problems...

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338

    Synaptic "dist-upgrade" Problems...

    Someone, again, tell me how I get back into KDE???

    I did a Synaptic "upgrade" within it, and had to "force-feed", multiple times, remove / install "frozen-bubble" - but finally got all "upgrade-able packages to get upgraded...

    When I rebooted, I am stuck in the "textual login" screen, and cant seem to get my GUI, KDE, to come up...

    As a side note, before rebooting and getting stuck in "textual" land, I did notice that the "dist-upgrade" within Synaptic, left my menus a little less than what they used to be... In particual, I have a good many Games, like Pingus, which does NOT show up in the menu anymore, but can be accessed through CLI, so the menu entry has dissappeared mysteriously now, plus a lot of other installed programs ( from the menu, that is )...

    So, summary of needs:
    ( 1 ) Get back into KDE, and get the GUI Login back on boot-up...
    ( 2 ) Get my original programs that are installed already, back into the menus, where they used to be...

    Any and all help, is greatly appreciated, in this concern,
    Ms. Cuddles

  2. #2
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Italy
    Posts
    18
    I quite hope it's not your case, but the only time I dared dist-upgrade my Knoppix HD-installation, I messed it up by far too much to be able to fix it other than by a total reinstall. That's because, I suppose, Knoppix comes as a mix of stable, testing and unstable, plus a bunch of self-made packages (e.g. knx-alsa); so, having it fully rebuilt from different sources is quite likely to be as much destructive as it can.
    Useless to say, but I haven't "dist-upgraded" my Knoppix since that any more...

  3. #3
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    ( 1 ) Could be that KDE is broken (again). Also you have to upgrade KDM when upgrading KDE to 3.3.

    ( 2 ) Try running update-menus as user.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    Y I K E S

    I hope, in both cases, this isnt what has happened...

    I used the synaptic "smart upgrader" option, but, how can I get into KDE... ( even if it isnt broke ) ???

    I am sitting at the "boot" screen, with all the boot messages on it, last things it says are: "Starting K Desktop Manager: kdm" and then the "Login:" prompt...

    I've tried to login as root and my user account, both get logged in, but never go any further than the textaul screen...

    God I hope I didn't just hose the heck out of this system, its been going so well, for just a short time

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Just go to VT (Ctrl-Alt-F2) and do: apt-get install kdm -s and see what happens.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    ( ctrl-alt-F2 )
    Root login...
    apt-get install kdm -s
    ( reports back the following )

    "kdm is already the newest version"

    Where do I go from this now ???

    ( ps - thanks for the help )

  7. #7
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuddles
    Where do I go from this now ???
    Short answer: kanotix

    Serious answer: I suppose you did apt-get update first?
    Try doing startx or /etc/init.d kdm start and see if it throws back any errors.
    Or you could do apt-get install gdm

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    startx

    tried to start up, and then burped out some text, and returned to text screen...

    Notable messages:

    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Unable to set IgnoreDisplayDevives
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): Failed to initialize the NVIDIA graphics device!
    (EE) NVIDIA(0): *** Aborting ***
    (EE) Screen(s) found, but none have a usable configuration.

    fatal server error:
    no screens found

    root prompt:#

    Hmmmmm, let me guess, my NVidia is hosed??? ( considering I compiled the NVidia source into the kernel, a way back, this isnt good... )

    Whats next??? Play in the XF86Config-4 file ????

    Please dont say Kanotix ( I dont have it ), and please dont say re-install ( thats even worse )...

  9. #9
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Salt Lake City, UT, U.S.A.
    Posts
    1,338
    kdm start -=- went to black screen, like it was trying, then just came back to text screen, with prompt, no messages were given

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Can't help much with NVidia since I don't have it. How about: mv XF86Config-4 XF86Config-4_OLD , boot the CD and copy over the file to hd. Don't know if it'll work, NV might have complained because it couldn't find X at all.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. "pon" gives "ttyS overrun" after upgrade
    By Al Hayes in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 07-05-2004, 11:57 AM
  2. Problem with "foomatic" during apt upgrade
    By UltraMega in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-02-2004, 03:34 AM
  3. Locate Knoppix "group" in "K" menu
    By Juny in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM
  4. post-HD install: apt-get dist-upgrade problems
    By in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-23-2003, 06:21 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026 picture

Ubuntu Server 26.04.1 LTS Bootable USB Flash Drive – Latest September 2026

$12.99



OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$115.00



Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU picture

Start9 Server Pure 32GB 4TB Intel i7 Node StartOS — Box + PSU

$649.00



All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive picture

All New Ubuntu 26.04 LTS Linux Bootable USB Flash Drive

$15.95



ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB picture

ZimaBoard 2 1664 Home Server 16GB

$350.00



Brand New Genuine Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (Advanced Server) Version 3 picture

Brand New Genuine Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS (Advanced Server) Version 3

$39.99



Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set picture

Novell SUSE Linux Enterprise Server 9, Linux Professional 8.2 / 9.1 — 3 DVD Set

$58.00



Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP picture

Microsoft SQL Server 2019 Enterprise 40 Core Unlimited CAL Retail License FPP

$299.00



SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA picture

SQL Server 2022 Enterprise 96 Core License & DVD Unlimited CALs with CoA

$284.99