SCARY PART

Downloaded the 6111 package, figured its the newest and I had seen that in the "Synaptic" output - but, did the symlink, did the download of the .run file, did the chmod, did a [ctrl] + [alt] + F1, logged in as root, did a init 3, did a cd to the downloaded .run file, started it...

and then...

it flashed up a large red screen that reported something along the lines that:

"no kernel module to match..."
( had a choice of YES or NO )

Choose NO - then it flashed another red screen with:

"Do you want to use nvidia kernel..." - which I took it as meaning, it wants to download the kernel source from the nvidia site that it thinks matches my kernel, not the drivers source, but my kernel... I did a [ctrl] + C and dropped the install script, did a init 3, and got back here...

It also reported that it detected that I have rivafb installed, and that NVidia has problems when this is installed in with the NVidia - no clue - dont think I have it - but it says I do - and appears it hates that it is, and may not work...

Whats next ???