-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
nishtya
mzi, Cuddles is running knoppix. And unless something has changed, although the nvidia install script would work (providing she had managed to install kernel source) it would error out without kernel source on there that nvidia could match. And Kano's install kernel source script will not work except on kanotix.
Not true. That script works anywhere (well ok maybe not on Knoppix
) but it does work on a bootstrapped Debian.
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user
Oh, Cuddles if the menu items you are missing are mostly from the debian menu, try checking for an update to menu-xdg.
-
Senior Member
registered user
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
nishtya
Oh, Cuddles if the menu items you are missing are mostly from the debian menu, try checking for an update to menu-xdg.
Huh??? Look for an "apt-get" on it, or see if that has a "--update" option for the command line ???
What would be a "debian" menu? I run KDE, so, from what I know, thats a KMenu, where is a DebianMenu???
I'm clueless here...
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
Cuddles
So, the NVidia is fixed now, but, my Menus are messed up... I tried the "update menus" command, but it didnt change anything, I even tried the KMenu program "Menu Updating Tool" from within the v3.4 menus, it found a few "rougue" programs, but not all of them... I guess I am going to have to manually put them back in now...
I also appear to have gotten services running that I never had before, all from this "mistake" of running the Dist-Upgrade... First of all, I have a "lone" computer, no net card, and no "server" responsibilities, but I have gotten HylaFax running now, a "good" side effect from this situation... But, looking at the boot-up, I am now starting "named", "NIS services", "ypbind", "apmd", and this is a serious boo-boo, "nvtvd"...
Ms. Cuddles
Menus: I think you may have to update manually here. 'Debian menus' is (I think) a standard debian menu setup for KDE, would show up as a 'Debian' item on your start menu.
Services: Just went through a similar but not so severe 'upgrade' mess & also got a lot of added services. Posted for help here: http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13345
Basic answer is, you don't really need any of them, stock Knoppix HDinstall has only cupsys & one other (I forget what) so just use 'sys V-init Editor' & remove whatever you want to.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Inside of your KDE menu, resides a folder "debian" more applications in there than you can imagine. It uses a different menu system from KDE and some KDE upgrades break it. You would want to check either that it is installed (menu-xdg) to begin with, if so, is there an update? KDE has a long notarious history of menu problems but for the "almost all my apps are gone" after a KDE update on a debian system, menu-xdg will often fix.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Nishtya,
I checked my menu and menu-xdg packages, both are current versions, nothing wrong... So, I did a "re-install" on both of them, I also did a "re-install" of all the "games" that dont have menu entries anymore ( thinking that during the re-install, they would get "refreshed" in the menus ), no dice, nada... I guess I will just manually put them in, its slow, and I dont have a clue on a lot of them, so, as I remember a menu entry, I'll add it...
Nishtya is correct, Kano does not support Knoppix, if his script doesnt work, and you are running Knoppix, you need to install Kanotix for support ( which is fair ), Its kind of hard to support "everything"... ( I dont think Debian supports RedHat, etc... )
Case in point, when I was running Knoppix v3.4, kernel 2.6.6, I wanted to install the NVidia drivers, thought I could use Kano's script - it worked good back in v3.3... His script refused to work in v3.4, so I hit up his web site, and forum, his response to my request on information, and HOWTO, with his script, was, to quote: "I do not support Knoppix, you need to install Kanotix, and then run the NVidia script and the Vanilla Source scripts" -=- end of story... Kano is a geneious, but only from a Kanotix point of view. If his scripts dont work on Knoppix, dont go to him, or ask him for any assistance -=- I figure, if it "might" not work in the first place, dont even try it, hopefully come here, get an answer that works in "Knoppix", and do it right the "First Time"...
ON THE OTHER SIDE OF THIS POST ( originally )
I did some searching, and found that "ypbind" is a NIS Server particle, am I wrong here, but isnt NIS a part of network card support? Or a form of "Server", I am not a "server", I do not run a Web Server, I do not run a File Server, I do not run a Windows "File / Print / Share" Server, I dont run Samba... I would like to rip out these things, but, only if they arent "fragments" of things that I do run. The programs I mentioned earlier, ypbind, named, NIS Server, etc... Are actively running on my system, if they are not part of things that I "really" run, then they shouldnt be running, right??? If I do run something that uses these programs, or services, ripping them out is going to "break" things, by my own doing, and I dont want that either...
This is about the biggest problem I see with Linux, no information. If you install something, and something else comes with it, thats fine, you know that "this" belongs with "that", but, in the case I am at now, I have these "services", all-of-a-sudden, starting up, no clue where they come from, for what they are used for, why are they started, and who is starting them? I cant imagine these "services" are attached to a "Fax Server", when I dont have a net card, and I use Dial-up anyway... My guess is, that, my Dist-Upgrade, since I told it to "upgrade" anything, and everything it felt should be, that services were not only "upgraded", but were "defaulted" to starting up, but, how do I know if I can rip them out, or if they should stay running? My system is in a bit of "torment" as it is now, I dont wish to see if I can "break it anymore", but, not used, not needed, and will never use, programs that run, or are running, on a system, is not funny, is not safe, and not, in any way shape or form, secure.
I want to just rip them out, or set them not to run anymore, but not at the cost of "breaking" something that I do use or run. I found out a while back, getting something to run again, after you disable it, is not that easy, especially when you dont know who it is attached to... I can stop ypbind from starting, but who started it, or needs it started? If I use that program, it will break, and who knows what else, as well...
What do I do, go around looking at the descriptions and install information, or man pages on anything, find out what it needs, or has to install, and start ripping it all out?
Sometimes I wonder if the whole motto of Linux should be changed, from its current: "Resistance is fuitile", to a more appropriate one: "Assistance is fuitile"... Its a wonder why we get so many "noob" questions, answers are "almost" no where, and if they are like me, they arent going to go ripping things out of there system for the sake of ripping things out... ( I dont like the name of that "program", so I deleted it... ) -=- Reminds me of a lady I had helped in Win95 Support... She had a "wizz-bang-state-of-the-art" video card driver installed in her OS, and she only had a "ATI VGA Plus" installed as a "real" card, she said she didnt like the driver name, and kept changing it to this other card, cause it sounded better... Of course she had called support at least three times previously, on the exact same situation, her Windows wouldnt boot, and it was becuase she didnt like the name the Video Driver was called...
I wouldnt do this, nor would I think anyone else who runs Linux, would do this either, we are more apt to realize that doing so, is only going to make our OS more fragile than it already is... And this is why I have these "services" running, currently... I'm not going to rip something out, unless I know it doesnt belong there in the first place. It would help to know "why" it is running, and "why" it thinks it should be running, and even, "who" thought it should be running? But, until I "know" these things, it is going to "stay" running. ( read: Playing Russian Roulette with your OS )
-
Cuddles, I recently upgraded my Kanotix install on my laptop and had the same disappearing debian menu issue. Running update-menus fixed it for me though. Just to be clear...you did run "update-menus" with a hyphen in between and not "update menus" with a space...right?
-
Senior Member
registered user
Yes, update-menus with the hyphen, both as root, and as my user account, funny thing is that I get the following message when I run it:
Code:
In file "/etc/menu-methods/translate_menus", at (or in the definition that ends at) line 39:
subtranslate section->section
^
Expected: "s"
Any clues?
Similar Threads
-
By Al Hayes in forum Networking
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-05-2004, 11:57 AM
-
By UltraMega in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 01-02-2004, 03:34 AM
-
By Juny in forum General Support
Replies: 4
Last Post: 03-14-2003, 09:02 AM
-
By in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 01-23-2003, 06:21 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK
$169.95

Hynix & Samsun (Lot Of 36) 4GB 2Rx8 PC3L-10600R DDR3 Server Memory 144GB Total
$120.00

SMART(Micron)SafeStor 32GB(1X32GB) 1RX4 NN4-3200AA(DDR4) HPE Server Memory
$159.98

Dell 16GB PC4-21300 (DDR4-2666) Memory (SNPPWR5TC16G)
$89.99

MTA36ASF4G72PZ-2G9E2 MICRON 32GB (1X32GB) 2RX4 PC4-2933Y MEMORY
$229.00

Kingston 32GB 64GB 128GB 256GB USB 3.0 Flash Drive Thumb Memory Stick Pen lot
$285.90

64GB (2x32GB) SK Hynix HMCG88MEBSA092N AA 1Rx8 PC5-4800B DDR5 Laptop RAM #SK2
$699.00

lot of 5 SK Hynix 32GB (160GB) PC4-2666V ECC Server RAM HMA84GR7CJR4N-VK Tested
$1000.00

x4 Intel 128GB NMB1XXD128GPS Optane Memory 200 Series PMEM Module 3200 DDR4 RAM
$329.99

Micro SD Adapter To SD HC SDHC Memory Card Adapter Reader NEW
$1.39