Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: migrating from Windoze...need some advise

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    migrating from Windoze...need some advise

    A month ago, my network was hosed by a particularly nasty variant of bagle, Norton was asleep at the switch and did not bother to update their virus patterns on this pest until 80 hours after it showed itself...result, 36 hours of downtime reinstalling xp pro.

    Since I have been researching/learning/trying linux. I have used Xandros/fc2 and 3/Mandrake/Suse 9.1 pro, and various other distros. I did a hd install of Knoppix 3.6 last night and I like what I see, however; I am now using Kanotix from cd and it seems just a bit more robust. One of my companies works with media research and it is imperative that my work stations be able to access news clips from web pages such as fox news. I found mplayer and its deb plug ins from the xandros forums work nicely in mozilla but have yet to get firefox to find the plug in...at any rate I need your advice.

    of Knoppix and Kanotix, which of the two distros would you recommend. I know this a Knoppix forum but it seems there are many fans of Kanotix here. Although much of the software is not needed in my work, it is nice to have. I would appreciate your input.

    thanx

    skip

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    I have not used Kanotix, but I have used Knoppix for about a year and a half. What I read repeatedly is that Knoppix can hd install, but was not designed for that purpose. Kanotix is reportedly better suited to a hd install, in part because it is closer to pure Debian. Some users have also reported that Kanotix is a little faster in responding to user feedback. I don't know whether that's true, but I do know that there are still bugs in the current version of Knoppix that were reported three releases ago.

    I personally don't use a hd install, and I love Knoppix for what I do. But if I were to do a hd install, I would look seriously at Kanotix.

    jd

Similar Threads

  1. changing run levels? need some advise
    By helios17 in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-22-2004, 05:19 PM
  2. Linux noob / Wireless purchasing advise
    By likebrokenrecords in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-22-2004, 12:21 AM
  3. Could you guys advise me regarding mobo & cpu choice?
    By champagnemojo in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-30-2004, 01:42 AM
  4. Article: Migrating to Linux not easy for Windows users
    By Henk Poley in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-06-2003, 03:32 PM
  5. CoExisting with WINDOZE
    By A. Jorge Garcia in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-24-2002, 05:49 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS picture

Dell Precision T5820 Workstation 3.70GHz W-2135 No RAM/ GPU/ HDD/ OS

$179.98



Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram  2x 550W PSU No HDD picture

Dell EMC PowerEdge R440 Xeon silver 4215 2.5GHz 16 GB ram 2x 550W PSU No HDD

$275.00



Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS picture

Lenovo ThinkStation P520c Intel Xeon W-2133 6-Core 3.60GHz -NO RAM/ HDD/ GPU/ OS

$127.54



Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS picture

Dell Precision Tower 7810 Xeon E5-2630 v3 @ 2.40GHz , 32GB Ram, NO HDD, NO OS

$239.99



Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS picture

Intel Xeon E5-2699 V4 2.20GHz 55M 22-CORES LGA2011-3 Server Processor 145W SR2JS

$84.49



Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km picture

Intel Xeon E5-2690 v4 SR2N2 14 Core 2.6GHz 35MB LGA2011-3 CPU *km

$15.99



Intel Xeon Platinum 8268 2.9GHz 24-Core FCLGA3647 Processor | SRF95 picture

Intel Xeon Platinum 8268 2.9GHz 24-Core FCLGA3647 Processor | SRF95

$119.99



Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU picture

Intel Xeon E5-2680 V2 2.8GHz 10-Core 25MB 8GT/s SR1A6 LGA2011 B Grade Server CPU

$7.95



Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600  Win 10 picture

Dell Precision T1700 Workstation Intel Xeon 16G Ram 256GG SSD Nvidia 600 Win 10

$109.99



Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor   picture

Intel Xeon Phi 5110P 60-Core 1.053GHz Coprocessor

$50.00