hmm.. I guess I could help. I'd like to see some more specs thou..
I've seen this posting on the forum before, but not in this way. As you are all aware Gmail gives you one gig storage, and GmailFS gives you a way of useing the 1 gig storage as a file system. Now we have devised a plan idea to incooperate gmailfs into knoppix... I have written a half a report on this and contact imformation at This Location
Please take a look we would much appericate it.
p.s. the site is all text it will take no time to load why not look![]()
thanks for your time!
hmm.. I guess I could help. I'd like to see some more specs thou..
Well the point of that page is as an introductory of what we want to do.. no real big specs on there.. just to explain the main idea.. after you decide you want to help then we can get into details.. if you would can you please email me so we at least have a way outside of the fourm to contact each other easly. thanks.. ([email protected] btw.. )
I have GmailFS running with Knoppix, but we should ask Google first whether that is an acceptable use of their service.
Also, I must say that it's slowww...
I don't know... I read Google's program policy, and the only line which may be against it is that no user can "Modify, adapt, translate, or reverse engineer any portion of the Gmail Service "
I'll contact google and ask...
Can someone please ask Google what they think about GmailFS.
Here is how to make it work from Knoppix Live CD (no HD install needed):
Code:# # use Gmail as a mountable filesystem with Knoppix # by probono # GPL # # THIS IS PURELY EXPERIMENTAL SOFTWARE. # USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. # become root sudo su export WORKDIR=$HOME/gmailfs # FUSE is required, so get, unpack and compile it wget http://unc.dl.sourceforge.net/source...use-1.3.tar.gz unp fuse-1.3.tar.gz cd ./fuse-1.3 ./configure ./make cd ../ # python2.3-dev is required, so get and unpack it wget http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool...11sid_i386.deb unp -u python2.3-dev_2.3.4-11sid_i386.deb # now use it export PYTHONPATH=$WORKDIR/usr/lib/python2.3/:$WORKDIR/fuse-python/ # the FUSE Python bindings are also required wget http://richard.jones.name/google-hac...-python.tar.gz unp fuse-python.tar.gz ##################################### ### HOW TO INSTALL THIS IN KNOPPIX??? - SOLVED! export PYTHONHOME=$WORKDIR/usr/ ln -s /usr/lib/python2.3/* $WORKDIR/usr/lib/python2.3/ ln -s ../fuse-1.3/include/fuse.h ./ ##################################### ##################################### #### BY HAND CHANGE THE FOLLOWING IN setup.py # library_dirs=["../lib",], # to # library_dirs=["../fuse-1.3/lib",], ##################################### # compile FUSE Python bindings python setup.py build # WORKS!!! # gmailfs wget http://richard.jones.name/google-hac...gmailfs.tar.gz unp gmailfs.tar.gz export PYTHONPATH=$WORKDIR/fuse-python/build/lib.linux-i686-2.3/:$WORKDIR/libgmail-0.0.8/ insmod ./fuse-1.3/kernel/fuse.o # SEEMS TO WORK !!!!!! mkdir -p /mnt/gmail ./fuse-1.3/util/fusermount -n gmailfs -l -c -x /mnt/gmail/ $WORKDIR/gmailfs/gmailfs.py /mnt/gmail username=XXXXX,password=XXXXXXX,fsname=XXXXX & umount /mnt/gmail
probono,
this is not working with knoppix 3.4 v5.17.04.
i run the script as root and there is no error output (to the screen anyway).
the /mnt/gmail directory is not created.
what version are you running this script on. looking forward to testing it out.
regards,
paul
okay pb, did a little sandbox testing with 3.4 v5-17-04
originally i saved your script as mntgmailfs and just did a chmod +x on it and ran it. that produced the results above (no console error message, no /mnt/gmail directory creation).
so i started running each script command by hand (as root)
the script poops out at the
wget http://ftp.debian.org/debian/pool/ma...11sid_i386.deb
command with this error
i'll try to find another source for the deb package and go from there.
btw, *i think* part of my problem is that you posted the script in the embedded window in the forum. I saved it as text in firefox. when i opened it in vi it is doing the stair step format, and needs to be manually edited. any chance of getting this script in pure text somehow to avoid syntax errors?
regards,
~pau1
hi pau1knopp,
this is not really a script yet, but more a collection of commands to be entered as root on the konsole, step-by-step.
probono
working my way through it...
got past the error above and now working on the next one.
thanks!
~pau1

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$100.00
Micron 5200 MAX 480GB Enterprise/DC 2.5" SATA SSD - 5 DWPD 100% Health
$94.00
Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive -
$36.99
Western Digital Blue 3D NAND 500GB Internal 2.5" SSD - WDS500G2B0A
$49.99
Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot
$549.00
Fanxiang 256GB 512GB 1TB 2TB 4TB SSD Lot 2.5'' SATA Internal Solid State Drive
$42.99
2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON
$28.00
Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD
$129.99
Intel Solid-State Drive DC S3500 Series 240GB Internal 2.5" (SSDSC2BB240G4P) SSD
$29.99
Samsung 250GB SSD 850 EVO 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive MZ7LN250 MZ-75E250
$25.99