-
Junior Member
registered user
configs.tbz crashed
Is there anyway to recover configs.tbz when it wont boot up? What it does is get almost to kde starting up then hangs with a blank screen.
This is on wife's 'special' machine!!! And knoppix 3.3 She needs to recover as she wont listen to me and do a backup. She was loading something off the net when this crash happened. She has about 6 months or so of writtings on it and silly never saved to hd, not sure exactly where she saved, but it will boot with just hitting the return/enter key. I have looked hi and lo for any recoverable data, but haven't found anything. I know she had a bunch. This occured on 9/22 or at least that is the 'last modified' date on the configs.tbz file.
Doing an open or click on the partition then hovering over the file shows 11.x mb size compared with my 2.4 mb size, so that is not a new one, but the old one she had.
thanks.
-
Senior Member
registered user
I'm not exactly sure I understand what you're asking here but it seems that you can't use your persistent home? Well a file w/ extension .tbz is just a bzipped tarball. You *should* be able to extract the contents w/
tar xjvf configs.tbz
You could even look directly inside the file w/ mc and not untar/bunzip it at all.
Maybe that helps?
-
Junior Member
registered user
The particular file is the 'save knoppix configuration' .tbz file when running from cdrom. Wife is 'bullheaded' and I am not sure how she 'saved' her 'important' files. Silly wouldn't let me hook up the usb cdrom and burn them to disk, so it looks like about 7 months of her 'work' is now gone.
The system hangs at the startx. It looks like it is going to startx (KDE) and that 'short time' blank screen is permanent now, it doesn't finish loading.
I can boot up without the
boot: knoppix myconfig=scan
option just fine, but it doesn't see her files.
There IS a 'knoppix.img' file that is huge..about 3gb on one partition. Maybe that is it, but I don't know how to get it opened. It is on a different partition than the configs.tbz file.
-
Junior Member
registered user
Thanks mzilikazi
I don't know how to use mc yet. I got it opened and closed session. That tbz file is 11.4 mb!! Got tired of holding down the down arrow!!! And everything in there is, to me, basically a big ? mark.
-
Senior Member
registered user
Well I'm not terribly familiar w/ the persistent home feature. Not really sure what is saved in there.... Have you tried moving the configs.tbz file out of the way?
Code:
mv configs.tbz configs.tbz.old
Then see if it boots. Of course you'll lose all your settings (i.e. wallpaper) and such and have to recreate your persistent home.
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
eculbert2
The particular file is the 'save knoppix configuration' .tbz file when running from cdrom. Wife is 'bullheaded' and I am not sure how she 'saved' her 'important' files. Silly wouldn't let me hook up the usb cdrom and burn them to disk, so it looks like about 7 months of her 'work' is now gone.
The system hangs at the startx. It looks like it is going to startx (KDE) and that 'short time' blank screen is permanent now, it doesn't finish loading.
I can boot up without the
boot: knoppix myconfig=scan
option just fine, but it doesn't see her files.
There IS a 'knoppix.img' file that is huge..about 3gb on one partition. Maybe that is it, but I don't know how to get it opened. It is on a different partition than the configs.tbz file.
the knoppix.img is the persistant home
Try loading it with
home=scan at boot.
(you can use ark and open the tbz file I believe.)
Similar Threads
-
By lotech in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 10-06-2005, 12:46 PM
-
By CrashedAgain in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 08-26-2004, 03:56 PM
-
By dunbar in forum General Support
Replies: 7
Last Post: 09-20-2003, 07:50 AM
-
By AndyŠ in forum General Support
Replies: 8
Last Post: 08-06-2003, 09:05 PM
-
By jmpereira in forum Customising & Remastering
Replies: 0
Last Post: 07-30-2003, 08:09 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

16GB KIT (2x8GB) DDR3 Gamer Desktop RAM PC3 MIXED BRANDS VIPER VENGEANCE FURY
$10.00

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit
$199.99

G.Skill Trident Z Neo Series 64GB (4x16GB) RAM DDR4 3200MHz F4-3200C16Q-32GTZN
$149.99

Lot 500 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Registered Server Memory RAM
$65000.00

Samsung 32GB DDR4-2666V-2Rx4-RB2-12 RAM M393A4K40CB2-CTD6Q
$169.00

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G
$21.68

Major Brand 16GB (2x8GB) PC3-12800U DDR3-1600MHz DDR3-12800 DESKTOP RAM NON-ECC
$29.99

Samsung 16GB LPCAMM2 PC5 7500 DDR5 LPDDR5X CAMM2 M561K1LC4DM0-CCTGM RAM Memory
$189.00

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED
$445.00

Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB (2x16GB) 3200MHz
$380.00