How about booting with the XP cd, going to recovery console and doing:
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot
If you've changed C:\boot.ini that might be the reason and you could try:
boot from disk (win)
attrib -rsh boot.ini
ren boot.ini boot.bak
reboot
Hi;
I booted my WinXP laptop the other day and got an error message "...hal.dll is corrupt or missing....". Now I can't boot into windows. I figure I can boot from the Knoppix CD (v3.6) download the hal.dll file and copy it into the system32 folder. (Using Knoppix for the first time)
However, after I have mounted the ntfs partition via Knoppix and try and create a test file I get a message saying "...operation not supported.." I have also tried creating a test file via the GUI but get a message saying that it can't create the file. This is what I have done:
To make the ntfs partition writable:
vi /etc/fstab (changed /dev/hda...... from ro to rw)
mount the drive to be rw:
mount -o remount,rw /dev/hda1
To create a test file in /mnt/hda1
touch testfile
The exact error message:
touch: cannot touch 'testfile': Operation not supported
Any ideas?
thanks.
How about booting with the XP cd, going to recovery console and doing:
BootCfg /Rebuild
Fixboot
If you've changed C:\boot.ini that might be the reason and you could try:
boot from disk (win)
attrib -rsh boot.ini
ren boot.ini boot.bak
reboot

HP ProLiant MicroServer Gen8 G1610T @2.3 GHz, 16GB, 712317-001 NO HDD/OS
$199.00
$280.00
Supermicro CSE-937 3U Storage Chassis No CPU No HDD No Ram Tested & Reset
$129.99
Supermicro 1U Network Server Appliance 16GB RAM 800GB SSD 6 LAN Ports Powers On
$450.00
HP PROLIANT TPS-W003 MICRO- SERVER TOWER Gen 8, 16G RAM
$195.00
Supermicro 2U X10DRU-i 2x E5-2680 v3 2.5ghz 32gb Ram 240gb SSD 2x GPU *READ*
$369.99
SUPERMICRO CSE-836 XEON E5-1620 v3 @ 3.50GHz, 32GB RAM, NO HDD/OS
$299.99
Supermicro 1027GR-TSF 1U Rackmount Server 2x Xeon 2.3GHz 128GB DDR3
$219.99
Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99
Supermicro CSE-216 No CPU No Ram No HDD Tested & Reset
$149.99