Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Help Changing Read/Write for NTFS in Knoppix 3.6

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3

    Help Changing Read/Write for NTFS in Knoppix 3.6

    I have tried to mount my NTFS hard drive using Knoppix but it always says the following:

    knoppix@ttyp0[knoppix]$ mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1
    mount: only root can do that

    How can I get rid of that error or gain permissions so I can mount a drive?

    PS - I am very, VERY new to both Knoppix and Linux.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    If you are booting the Knoppix 3.6 CD to a full graphical KDE desktop, then you should have hard drive icons on your desktop. Try using those icons to access the NTFS C: drive. If the icons on the desktop work for you & you are able to access the NTFS drive and do not want to learn more about this problem, then you can stop reading now.

    Linux in general limits what the user can do. This prevents dangerous tasks from being performed without permission. You have just run into an example of where it prevents you from mounting the /dev/hda1. You will need to append the sudo command in front of your mount command. The other thing you may need to know if that NTFS is supported by read only & not read/write. Someone else may need to correct the command below, but it should allow you to mount the NTFS C: drive in read only mode.
    Code:
    sudo mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1
    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    3
    Thanks, but the only reason I'm looking to mount the drive is so I can set read/write permissions. I've talked to someone who said that through Captive NTFS, you can write to NTFS drives. I'm just looking for help in getting it to work.

    I do see the hard drive and I can access it, I'm trying to figure out how to write to it.

    Again, sorry if I sound like a comlete idiot, but I'm very new to anything Linux, much less Knoppix. I'm trying to learn it mostly because it can do things differently than Windows can.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by Krendall
    Thanks, but the only reason I'm looking to mount the drive is so I can set read/write permissions. I've talked to someone who said that through Captive NTFS, you can write to NTFS drives. I'm just looking for help in getting it to work.

    I do see the hard drive and I can access it, I'm trying to figure out how to write to it.

    Again, sorry if I sound like a comlete idiot, but I'm very new to anything Linux, much less Knoppix. I'm trying to learn it mostly because it can do things differently than Windows can.
    You should see a little picture of a penguin at the bottom left (if you in kde) search through that menu for captive ntfs.

Similar Threads

  1. Problems changing read/write for hardrive
    By ThundaOne in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 03-29-2005, 06:57 AM
  2. NTFS: Read-Write Safely with INSERT (Knoppix-based)
    By David Ormsby-Gore in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-08-2004, 10:10 AM
  3. Accessing NTFS in read-write mode on Knoppix 3.4
    By crveni in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-08-2004, 08:46 AM
  4. Knoppix STD with ntfs read-write
    By Markus in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-25-2004, 04:59 PM
  5. Full Read/Write support for NTFS ? Try this
    By garyng in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-25-2003, 06:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key picture

Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key

$829.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F Firewall Tested Reset Deregistered OEM PSU

$99.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$693.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Netgate SG-1100 firewall picture

Netgate SG-1100 firewall

$140.00