Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: VERY basic and probably dumb question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3

    VERY basic and probably dumb question

    Today was my first time ever using Knoppix or even Linux. I downloaded it because I put an old HD in a new computer and the lame Windows folder privacy setting I had on most of my stuff was preventing me from getting to the data I wanted to recover. So I boot up Knoppix 3.6 with the 2.6 kernel but I realize pretty quick that I can't copy and paste the stuff I wanted to my new hard drive. I'm probably missing something obvious but I scanned all the FAQs and can't think of what to do. Can anyone help? I appreciate it and sorry for the n00bieness

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Dunedin, Flordia
    Posts
    20

    Not so stupid

    Simple first just Right click on the HD and you will see a line that says change settings to read/write click it a box will come back and asks do you really want to make your HardDrive writable say yes and have fun its all point and Click! Copy Paste whatever Beats XP.
    I have an even stupider Question.
    Why do so many pepole pay for XP?
    When they damage their XP they have to use Knoppix to fix it, and Knoppix is FREE? Strange world isnt it? If you stick with it a few days you'll find Knoppix is a lot more user friendly than windows also. So why do pepole buy Windows is the Goverment forcing us to buy it?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3
    Thanks man. Sounds like a pretty easy solution, something I couldn't find with Windows. It'll probably sound cliche but its the damn monopoly Microsoft still has. People use Windows because they feel they have to. I personally felt pretty good using Knoppix and I think I'll probably be using it a lot more. Thanks again.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4

    Re: Not so stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by spaceinvader001
    I have an even stupider Question.

    Why do so many people pay for XP?
    Can't say about "paying" for it, I don't know the answer to that but I can answer why people use it . . . Games.

    That, and the advertising to the masses is better for the software that runs on Windows. [/i]

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    3
    Alright I tried this and it told me to mount the drive before attempting to change the writability. So I just right clicked each drive and mounted it and tried again but got another error message. It said the remount failed, maybe another file system is using the partition. What should I do?

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Western NY
    Posts
    9

    Re: Not so stupid

    Quote Originally Posted by spaceinvader001
    I have an even stupider Question.
    Why do so many pepole pay for XP?
    When they damage their XP they have to use Knoppix to fix it, and Knoppix is FREE? Strange world isnt it? If you stick with it a few days you'll find Knoppix is a lot more user friendly than windows also. So why do pepole buy Windows is the Goverment forcing us to buy it?
    While I enjoy using Knoppix Linux, the vast majority of software is Windows exclusive (most prominantly game software, which is one thing that prevents me from using Linux exclusively). Like it or not, it's a Windows (and Mac) world. If Linux had much better support for games (yes, I have heard of transgaming, but it is stil far from perfect), I would switch immediately.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by BeckBristow
    Alright I tried this and it told me to mount the drive before attempting to change the writability. So I just right clicked each drive and mounted it and tried again but got another error message. It said the remount failed, maybe another file system is using the partition. What should I do?
    Try restarting and trying it again.

    Of course if the drive is formatted with NTFS you can't write to it withour useing captive ntfs

Similar Threads

  1. Dumb question about tar.gz files and Debian
    By oldgeezer in forum General Support
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 05-20-2004, 06:59 AM
  2. dumb question :o
    By archvile in forum General Support
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-28-2004, 03:54 PM
  3. another dumb newbie question
    By three eyes open in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-03-2003, 05:37 AM
  4. dumb question, sorry
    By VeeDubb in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-29-2003, 03:02 AM
  5. Yes it's a dumb question...
    By Lawgick in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-18-2003, 07:45 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



Samsung 24

Samsung 24" S3 Essential IPS 100Hz Monitor | Sealed | Fast shipping

$50.00



Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280  SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC picture

Samsung PM9C1A 256GB m.2 2280 SSD GEN4X4 NVME MZVL8256HDJD new Laptop PC

$34.99



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills) picture

Samsung SCXSTP000, SCX-STP000 (Swingline Staple Cartridge - 3 Refills)

$57.99



NEW SAMSUNG 960 EVO 250GB NVMe - (MZ-V6E250) picture

NEW SAMSUNG 960 EVO 250GB NVMe - (MZ-V6E250)

$105.87



NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue picture

NEW Samsung NoteBook NT930QCG touch LCD Full Screen Assembly Blue

$225.77