Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Knoppix and Windows networking

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4

    Knoppix and Windows networking

    I have 4 XP boxes on a network, and 1 Knoppix box (that I just set up).

    I installed Knoppix to the HDD, and was able to get on the internet through the LAN without any configuration on my part. Works great, surfed around a bit, very happy with Knoppix.

    Question is, "How do I get the Linux box to show up on the network to my Windows machines?"

    I want to be able to use this Linux box for file sharing.

    BTW, the version of Knoppix I installed is 3.3 (it's the one I had ) and I installed it using Knoppix-installer to the Knoppix desktop . . .

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    The answer is SAMBA, already comes with knoppix. You need some editing first before you can use it.
    Read this: http://static.kdenews.org/content/si...rier/20030610/
    http://www.samba.netfirms.com/sambconf.htm

    Too make it easier to browse/mount samba share from knoppix, you need smb4k or linneighbourhood(comes with knoppix). I prefer smb4k.




  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    4
    Nice links shah - thanks!

    I knew I needed Samba, just didn't know how to access it or run it in Knoppix, and unfortunately, didn't come up with any good info searching the forums or google. These links are right on target.

    I'm doing a bittorrent download of Knoppix 3.6 as we speak, and what I'll do is wipe the drive and install that, and then follow those guides.

    The computer I'm working on is an older Micron Millenia P-II 350. I put a 200GB Seagate HDD in it, and will add another 160GB Samsung later, I want to use this for file sharing. I tried installing MD10, but never could get it configured right after several reinstalls. Knoppix worked "right out of the box" so to speak, detected my network and got me online without any messing around on my part. That, impressed me, a lot.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    If you are using xp pro, samba will work out of box. But if you use xp home editiion, you need do some registry editing. This link will help if you use xp home:
    http://www.ccs.uky.edu/docs/samba.htm

  5. #5
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    6

    I am wondering that how to set the hostname of the KNOPPIX!

    I was settle a network with a W2K computer & a Knoppix Live-on-cd.

    I use the IP address of the Knoppix computer as the hostname for shared resource, i.e: \\192.168.0.1\hdb1, when I connect from the W2K computer. How should I do that give the host a name. Thank lots.!

Similar Threads

  1. Networking windows to Linux
    By Phishman in forum Networking
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-18-2005, 12:03 AM
  2. Networking fiiles from Knoppix to Windows
    By turbonow in forum Networking
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 11-19-2004, 11:00 AM
  3. Networking Linux box (knoppix 3.4) with Windows XP PC
    By nicorellius in forum Networking
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 11-12-2004, 09:17 PM
  4. Knoppix and windows networking
    By Jakykong in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 10-24-2004, 03:29 AM
  5. Networking Knoppic (CD) and windows XP
    By xarkangelx in forum Networking
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-03-2003, 08:48 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch picture

TP-Link TL-SG105 5-Port Gigabit Ethernet Unmanaged Metal Desktop Network Switch

$19.99



Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch picture

Cisco Catalyst 2960-48TT-L 48-Port Fast Ethernet Managed Rackmount Switch

$46.99



NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch picture

NETGEAR GS308EP Essential Series 8-Port Gigabit PoE+ Unmanaged Switch

$49.99



Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch picture

Cisco WS-C3650-12X48UR-L 48-Port Stackable Layer 3 8x10G SFP+ Port Switch

$129.99



10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W picture

10-Port Gigabit PoE Network Switch with 8 PoE+ Ports with 2 Combo SFP Slots 125W

$39.99



5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S... picture

5 Port Gigabit Unmanaged Ethernet Switch, Home Network Hub, Office Ethernet S...

$9.64



TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597 picture

TP-Link TL-SG2210P 10-Port Gigabit Smart Switch w/ 8-Port PoE+ NO AC SKU 25597

$36.98



Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch picture

Arista DCS-7050SX-64-R 48P 10GbE SFP+ 4P 40GbE QSFP+ RA Switch

$115.00



Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks picture

Linksys LGS328MPC 24-Port Managed Gigabit PoE+ Switch with 4 10G SFP+ Uplinks

$224.95



5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play picture

5Ports Gigabit Network Switch w/ 4 PoE+ Ports Total 52W each port 30W Plug&Play

$31.99