Hmm. This is not much help, but you may want to see if the new experimental release with X 4.3 helps at all. My thinking is that it will clear up a lot of display problems.
I have an ATI Rage 128 32Mb video card. I haven't been able to successfully use any of the latest Knoppix releases since the 8-11-2002 release. That release worked fine and I have it installed on my HD. However, I can use cheat code xmodule=fbdev to use the latest releases but I would like to use ATI and screen resolution 1600x1200. My monitor is capable of handling that. Has anyone had this problem and possible solution? Since it's Debian based, I have dist-upgraded mine (Knoppix 3.1)to the latest and I'm happy with it. But I'd really like to solve this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.
mag
![]()
Hmm. This is not much help, but you may want to see if the new experimental release with X 4.3 helps at all. My thinking is that it will clear up a lot of display problems.
I'll try the new experimental release. I have used the CeBit release. Let's see if the experimental one will make a difference. Thank you for your reply.Originally Posted by aay
mag
I have the same problem. In the november release (3.1) the X server sturts up
fine and with a good resolution. In the last releases (3.2) the screen blinks and
then the X server falls back to the vesa mode, which gives me a terrible
resolution.
Is this the fault of the XFree package?
ggu
We need some more information here. What sort of setup do you have? What cheat codes have you tried. I've noticed in some recent posts that there is a monitor detection issue on the current version of X on Knoppix. To disable monitor detection use "knoppix nodcc" as a boot option.Originally Posted by ggu
Did booting w/ xmodule=ati make a difference?
Looks like the ATI rage needs a little something put into your XF86Config-4. Go here

Lenovo - Yoga 7i 2-in-1 16" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core Ultra 5 Proces...
$749.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 G2 14-Inch AMD Ryzen R5 5650U 16GB, 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$398.99
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 14" Touchscreen i7-1185G7 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$284.99
Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.6" Full HD Laptop - AMD Ryzen 5 40 2025 - 8GB Memo...
$379.99
Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3 15.3" 2k Touchscreen Laptop - AMD Ryzen 7 170 2025 - ...
$599.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 Core i5 2.6GHz 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 , Good
$229.99
Windows 11 PRO Laptop Notebook PC Computer, 8GB Ram, Webcam, Wifi, and HDMI
$144.00
Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Yoga Gen 5 Touch 14” Laptop Core i5 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11
$249.99