Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: X server won't work with ATI 128 Rage video card

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    8

    X server won't work with ATI 128 Rage video card

    I have an ATI Rage 128 32Mb video card. I haven't been able to successfully use any of the latest Knoppix releases since the 8-11-2002 release. That release worked fine and I have it installed on my HD. However, I can use cheat code xmodule=fbdev to use the latest releases but I would like to use ATI and screen resolution 1600x1200. My monitor is capable of handling that. Has anyone had this problem and possible solution? Since it's Debian based, I have dist-upgraded mine (Knoppix 3.1)to the latest and I'm happy with it. But I'd really like to solve this problem. Any help is greatly appreciated.

    mag

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Hmm. This is not much help, but you may want to see if the new experimental release with X 4.3 helps at all. My thinking is that it will clear up a lot of display problems.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    8
    Quote Originally Posted by aay
    Hmm. This is not much help, but you may want to see if the new experimental release with X 4.3 helps at all. My thinking is that it will clear up a lot of display problems.
    I'll try the new experimental release. I have used the CeBit release. Let's see if the experimental one will make a difference. Thank you for your reply.

    mag

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Venezia, Italy
    Posts
    3
    I have the same problem. In the november release (3.1) the X server sturts up
    fine and with a good resolution. In the last releases (3.2) the screen blinks and
    then the X server falls back to the vesa mode, which gives me a terrible
    resolution.
    Is this the fault of the XFree package?

    ggu

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Posts
    1,353
    Quote Originally Posted by ggu
    I have the same problem. In the november release (3.1) the X server sturts up
    fine and with a good resolution. In the last releases (3.2) the screen blinks and
    then the X server falls back to the vesa mode, which gives me a terrible
    resolution.
    Is this the fault of the XFree package?

    ggu
    We need some more information here. What sort of setup do you have? What cheat codes have you tried. I've noticed in some recent posts that there is a monitor detection issue on the current version of X on Knoppix. To disable monitor detection use "knoppix nodcc" as a boot option.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Did booting w/ xmodule=ati make a difference?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Looks like the ATI rage needs a little something put into your XF86Config-4. Go here

Similar Threads

  1. video doesn't work!!!
    By jojo in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-05-2004, 01:44 AM
  2. will my video card and motherboard work?
    By skaterfbs in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 08-25-2003, 11:05 AM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-05-2003, 06:02 PM
  4. Which video card should I buy
    By soapee01 in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-21-2003, 10:47 AM
  5. ATI Rage Pro video card
    By elbe in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 02-23-2003, 04:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Mass Microsystems DataPak 88MB Removable External SCSI Hard Drive... picture

Vintage Mass Microsystems DataPak 88MB Removable External SCSI Hard Drive...

$149.99



Apple Macintosh Plus 1Mb Vintage Desktop Computer w/ Keyboard & Mouse picture

Apple Macintosh Plus 1Mb Vintage Desktop Computer w/ Keyboard & Mouse

$350.00



Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra picture

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra

$120.00



Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS picture

Vintage HP 21MX 1000 M-Series Minicomputer Chassis Backplane Parts AS-IS

$228.19



Vintage Dell Inspiron 7500 15

Vintage Dell Inspiron 7500 15" Pentium II 400MHz 128MB 4.8GB Windows 2000 Pro

$59.00



15pc Vintage Networking Electronics Lot Netgear Linksys D-Link Roku Untested picture

15pc Vintage Networking Electronics Lot Netgear Linksys D-Link Roku Untested

$85.00



VINTAGE IBM THINKPAD 770 TYPE 9548 13.7

VINTAGE IBM THINKPAD 770 TYPE 9548 13.7" PENTIUM MMX LAPTOP As Is

$150.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition picture

Ast Advantage Adventure 4050D Vintage Retro Computer Great Condition

$199.99



Vintage 1983 Commodore 1702 Color Video CRT Monitor. Tested. picture

Vintage 1983 Commodore 1702 Color Video CRT Monitor. Tested.

$350.00