Is there any way to get Persistant Home/Config/Whatever if I have an NTFS partition? I have no way of repartitioning
Is there any way to get Persistant Home/Config/Whatever if I have an NTFS partition? I have no way of repartitioning
You can use a USB Pen Drive and save your PH and config file
drb
What's a "USB Pen Drive"? (Also, I can't exactly do anything with hardware)
Its also known as a USB Flash Drive, or USB Thumb Drive. Bascially its a little thing that you stick in your USB port that stores flash memory. You can think of it as similar as a picture card for digital cameras.What's a "USB Pen Drive"? (Also, I can't exactly do anything with hardware)
I saw something about a "Poor man's Install" onto NTFS. How would that be done?
You need NTFS driver that supports r/w. I am not sure if the latest KNOPPIX does. After that, all you need is to create one big file(or more if you like) while running XP/W2K/NT(there are tools for it). These big files can then be used by KNOPPIX as "device" which you can format them to whatever file systems, thus your persistent home or you can even install a complete system onto them. You would need GRUB32 which support NTFS to boot into them though, if you want an installed system.Originally Posted by Sgeo
The 2.6 kernel drivers ca write to ntfs safly, only they can only change a file, they can't creat new files or anything. But this is fine for PH home use as everything is in the knoppix.img file. Only, I don't think the option is avaible on knoppix.
Hi,
Instructions on how to make pooor man's install on NTFS can be found behind the link below. There is mentioned that you could have the persistent home on NTFS partition but it is not recommended by author.
http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/WinPartition
I followed these instructions and now on C: I have XP and Knoppix ISO (NTFS partition). D: is NTFS data partition. On E: I have persistent home as .img file (D: is FAT32). Everything works great. I do not know if the home partition could reside on C: where I have the Knoppix ISO.

Apple Mac Pro 2019 1TB OEM SSD Kit-832GB +128GB - 656-0122/ 656-0121
$69.99
Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$60.00
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$545.25
Samsung 1TB SSD BM91H 1TB (MZ-VMA1T00) Internal SSD M.2
$135.00
SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99
Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1746.47
1TB Kingston DataTraveler Max DTMAX/1TB USB Type-C Flash Drive
$86.95
External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99
Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i7 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$330.73
Dell Latitude 15.6” FHD Core i5 Laptop PC Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11
$334.67