Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: NTFS Persistant Home

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    15

    NTFS Persistant Home

    Is there any way to get Persistant Home/Config/Whatever if I have an NTFS partition? I have no way of repartitioning

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    135
    You can use a USB Pen Drive and save your PH and config file

    drb

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    15
    What's a "USB Pen Drive"? (Also, I can't exactly do anything with hardware)

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    46
    What's a "USB Pen Drive"? (Also, I can't exactly do anything with hardware)
    Its also known as a USB Flash Drive, or USB Thumb Drive. Bascially its a little thing that you stick in your USB port that stores flash memory. You can think of it as similar as a picture card for digital cameras.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    15
    I saw something about a "Poor man's Install" onto NTFS. How would that be done?

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    872
    Quote Originally Posted by Sgeo
    I saw something about a "Poor man's Install" onto NTFS. How would that be done?
    You need NTFS driver that supports r/w. I am not sure if the latest KNOPPIX does. After that, all you need is to create one big file(or more if you like) while running XP/W2K/NT(there are tools for it). These big files can then be used by KNOPPIX as "device" which you can format them to whatever file systems, thus your persistent home or you can even install a complete system onto them. You would need GRUB32 which support NTFS to boot into them though, if you want an installed system.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    The 2.6 kernel drivers ca write to ntfs safly, only they can only change a file, they can't creat new files or anything. But this is fine for PH home use as everything is in the knoppix.img file. Only, I don't think the option is avaible on knoppix.

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2
    Hi,

    Instructions on how to make pooor man's install on NTFS can be found behind the link below. There is mentioned that you could have the persistent home on NTFS partition but it is not recommended by author.

    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/WinPartition

    I followed these instructions and now on C: I have XP and Knoppix ISO (NTFS partition). D: is NTFS data partition. On E: I have persistent home as .img file (D: is FAT32). Everything works great. I do not know if the home partition could reside on C: where I have the Knoppix ISO.

Similar Threads

  1. Can't create a Persistant Home
    By hatmen in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-04-2005, 02:15 AM
  2. Problems with Persistant Home in 3.8.1
    By watar in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2005, 09:49 AM
  3. Changing Persistant home dir
    By andyzweb in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-17-2005, 01:30 AM
  4. CDRW Persistant Home?
    By opel70 in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-27-2003, 10:05 PM
  5. Need Persistant Home help
    By audioaficionado in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-02-2003, 04:14 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working picture

Fujinet 1.7.1 Atari 400 800 800XL 130XE 65XE XEGS Assembled, Tested, Working

$99.99



VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair picture

VTG Atari 1200XL Home Computer System 1200 XL ** Tested ** Parts or Repair

$323.75



UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE picture

UNOCART-2600 SD card Multi Rom Cartridge for ATARI 2600 with CASE

$34.25



ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm picture

ATARI HDD Drive ACSI Emulator 520-1040ST/STF/STFM, STE, Mega STE, TT030 acsi2stm

$48.95



Atari XE  130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested picture

Atari XE 130XE Computer NTSC with Power Supply Powers On Untested

$159.95



INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC picture

INFO/soft Character Generator Manual for Atari 3000/5000/7000 NTSC

$40.00



Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI picture

Gotek USB Floppy Emulator v3.44 OLED (no speaker) Amiga Atari IBM Roland AKAI

$44.00



SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25

SOLD AS IS Lot of 5.25" Floppy Disks w/ Games & Software? Commodore 64 Atari 800

$59.99



Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On) picture

Atari 130 XE/Atari 1050 Bundle W/ Cords And Extras (Powered On)

$300.00



DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive  powers on Unit Only Boo G3D picture

DEFECTIVE Atari 810 Vintage Computer Disk Drive powers on Unit Only Boo G3D

$49.29