OK, I'll bite. How did you did it?
TIA,
AJG
I just built my first .deb package from a non-debian source. It was a simple little package...just a plugin for the xfce4 panel. But, I'm very excited...unhealthily so in fact, I'd say.It was really easy too...you should try it the next time you have some *simple* program that you can't find a deb or rpm for.
![]()
OK, I'll bite. How did you did it?
TIA,
AJG
checkinstall can make deb packages from source code.Originally Posted by A. Jorge Garcia
firebyrd10,
checkinstall will fail on more complicated compiles
I used the tools in the debmake and devscripts packages. You should look at the doc for debmake. It tells you how to do it better than I could. The only weirdness I encountered was that I had to create the DEBIAN directory myself and copy everything from /debian over to /DEBIAN, because for some reason deb-make created /debian but then when everything is built /DEBIAN is what is looked for. And do make sure to try something simple if you try it.
anything you want to share with us?
Nothing to share really. I'm still figuring it out myself. It's easy for simple things, but even slightly involved packages are a pain. I now realize that there are supposed to be both /debian and /DEBIAN directories. Just make sure you follow the right order, and if things get messed up it's best to get a fresh source and start over. And if there's a deb or rpm available use them.Originally Posted by nishtya
![]()

Lenovo ThinkPad L13 Yoga Touch Laptop 13.3” Core i5 8GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$239.99
Lenovo ThinkPad T14 Gen 2 i5-1145G7 16GB 512GB SSD Touch Win 11 Pro Good
$261.99
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 2 Laptop 14” HD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11 Pro
$319.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo ThinkPad T480s | i5-8350U | 256GB NVMe | 8GB RAM | W11 Pro | W/AC Adapter
$169.99
Lenovo - IdeaPad Slim 3i 15.3" 2K Touchscreen Laptop - Intel Core 7 350 2026 ...
$679.99
Lenovo ThinkPad E14 Gen 3 Laptop 14” FHD AMD Ryzen 5 16GB RAM 512GB SSD Win 11
$374.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L14 Gen 3 14" FHD Laptop i5 12th Gen 16GB RAM 256GB SSD Win 11
$329.99
Lenovo ThinkPad L15 Gen 3 15.6" 16GB, Thunder Black
$241.50
Lenovo Thinkpad T14 Gen 2 14" 16GB, Thunder Black
$387.46