Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Root Login Gone after KDM update

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401

    Root Login Gone after KDM update

    Hey, I updated a bunch of kde stuff including kdm. Now it won't let me log in as root from the gui , only via the console. "Root logins not allowed"

    Hmmm I'm not sure that this is so bad, has anyone else seen it?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    Yes, Rusty. Same thing has happened to me. Figuring debian has just gone the way of other distros by making it "difficult" for root to log in that way. If you do want to bring up KDE as root, log in as user - all you can. Then escape X with ctrl-alt-F1. You get a login prompt, login as root, then type without quotes "startx". If KDM is your default x desktop environment it will bring up KDM as root.

    Before the upgrade, you could type "kdm start" and root could get in. You don't get an error now when you try that way, you got nothing happening. Not sure if it's a feature or a bug :P

    Note: you aren't supposed to login to root

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    It's for sure not a feature. Updating KDE to 3.3 will often break KDM.

    Anyway you could try delete your KDM root settings and let it recreate a new one. What you need to do is delete /root/.kderc and /root/.kde.


  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Try also setting in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc AllowRootLogin=false to true.

  5. #5
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    171
    I use these tips and never goe wrong.

    When you are about to embark on a major apt-get dist-//upgrade and you notice many kde apps (especially kdm) use the download only flag (apt-get upgrade -d).

    Then reboot into runlevel 2 (or init 2) making sure that kdm is not active and complete your upgrade.

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    276
    thanks, Markus. When doing the KDE(incl. KDM) upgrade I was notified that there was a "custom" config file, probably kdmrc, and told it to go ahead and write a new one.

    I learned in upgrading to say no to debian base new configs and yes to the KDE ones. I don't know why, just my own pet method. So far, so good. Never had an upgrade break my install yet. Glitches, yes. Breakage, no.

    Kpackage, which I use, has an option to "see" the differences in the config files but when I choose that option, I get an error message about somethingorother text not supported there.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2003
    Location
    N42.41 W73 and change
    Posts
    401
    Thanks to all:
    Try also setting in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc AllowRootLogin=false to true.
    Did that and while root doesn't show up on the user list, I can log in by typing root and the password and get an x session going.

    I believe this happened when updating kdesktop in a console (alt-f2) session. I have had kdm issues before and will sometimes remove (with --purge) kdm, install xdm or gdm etc.

    I wonder if losing the root login was a result of installing in a non gui shell. Anyway thanks again everybody.

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty
    Try also setting in /etc/kde3/kdm/kdmrc AllowRootLogin=false to true.
    Did that and while root doesn't show up on the user list, I can log in by typing root and the password and get an x session going.
    Same file a bit further down there's a line: HiddenUsers=root , remove the obvious or change the line ShowUsers=NotHidden to hmm, might be All but I haven't tested.

    BTW, I never dist-upgrade. IMHO it's asking for trouble. Nevertheless, kelmo's method is probably the safest when it comes to KDM/E.

Similar Threads

  1. Login as ROOT
    By ackelley in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 01-12-2005, 11:52 PM
  2. How do root login
    By mienque in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-29-2004, 06:15 AM
  3. Root login
    By Dark19 in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-15-2003, 03:41 AM
  4. login as root? how?
    By Mogiin in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 10-13-2003, 11:02 AM
  5. Login as root
    By 1st_time in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-17-2003, 04:57 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI picture

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI

$195.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot picture

Check Point 1590 Firewall & w builtin WiFI and builtin LTE sim slot

$95.99



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$229.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 80E 12 Ports Firewall Appliance

$20.25



OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC picture

OPNsense Firewall VPN QAT 8-Core Atom C3758 2.20GHz 16GB DDR4 128GB SSD 8xNIC

$175.00



Unfi Security Gateway Pro picture

Unfi Security Gateway Pro

$170.00



NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX picture

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX

$69.99