Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Partitions and such. Need help.

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    7

    Partitions and such. Need help.

    I've used PartitionMagic in Windows to create a new 2.5GB FAT32 partition, and a 500MB Linux-swap partition. So, I type sudo knoppix-installer, and it tells me that my hard drive still doesn't meet the requirements, because it doesn't suppport NTFS, my XP partition, and default HD. So... how do I tell it that I wanna install on another partition?

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    Have you created Linux ext3 partition, where knoppix suppose to install?

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    7
    Okay seems to be working now that I changed the partition to ext3.

    But what should I select? Beginner, knoppix, or debian?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    7
    I selected beginner... now how do I dual boot Linux?

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788
    I would select Debian style hdd installation, because I found it less painfull after installation and that knoppix hardware detection and auto system configuration can be anoying sometime.
    Install LILO into mbr, usually it will detect your other OS'es.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    7
    I was afraid to install lilo on my MBR... it'd mess up XP. so... how do I write the Knoppix loading thing with the boot.ini type thing?

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    949
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberstew
    I was afraid to install lilo on my MBR... it'd mess up XP. so... how do I write the Knoppix loading thing with the boot.ini type thing?
    I would suggest writing lilo to the mdr, you can always use knoppix (live-cd) to ungoof it if someting happens

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Posts
    692
    The PMI concept may save you some grief. http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/PoorMansInstall
    After you read it, go here
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/WinPartition

    PMI is not a true dual boot, but it gets you there nonetheless. Later, if you feel more comfortable with a full install, you can do it.

    jd

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    7
    Well, I have it all installed on its own Linux partition. How do I use the lilo-loader?

Similar Threads

  1. partitions
    By newknoppixguy in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 09-03-2004, 04:07 AM
  2. HD partitions....
    By javiergp in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 04-20-2004, 11:25 AM
  3. How can I tell how big my partitions are
    By KnopperX in forum General Support
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-27-2004, 04:48 PM
  4. partitions???
    By knoppixnewb in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-09-2003, 11:16 AM
  5. 6 partitions
    By Rython in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-15-2003, 07:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5

2-Bay/4-Bay Hard Drive Enclosure for 3.5"/2.5'' SATA HDD/SSD 10Gbps USB-C 3.2

$75.99



OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2  for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs picture

OWC Mercury Elite Pro 2 Bay RAID Enclosure with USB 3.2 for Dual 3.5 inch HDDs

$87.99



Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004 picture

Broadcom 9600-24i RAID Controller PCIe Gen 4.1 Tri-Mode NEW 05-50111-01004

$649.99



Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board picture

Areca ARC-1882IX-24 (16i4e)24-Port RAID Controller Card w/BBU /HDD Monitor Board

$300.00



Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5

Acasis USB 3.2 2 Bay HDD RAID Enclosure for 2.5/3.5" SATA Drives External Array

$55.00



WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure picture

WAVLINK RAID 2 Bay Hard Drive Docking Station SATA 2.5/3.5'' SSD HDD Enclosure

$119.99



Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV picture

Dell PowerEdge HBA330 LP PCI-E 12GBs RAID SAS Controller Adapter J7TNV

$18.95



NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID picture

NVME M.2 Adapter Card PCIE X16 Splitter Expansion Controller 4-Disk Soft RAID

$24.43



Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD picture

Intel VROC Premium RAID Controller Card PCIe Add-On Module VROCPREMMOD

$265.00



CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go picture

CalDigit VR minin 2 Portable Raid Storage On The Go

$75.00