Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: permission problem, cannot login

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2

    permission problem, cannot login

    I changed permissions of /tmp ( cause of a script that I tried which wrote files to /tmp which I later had no access to as user )
    I changed it with konqeror (file manager as super user) to group : jack (= user)
    After that I couldn't start konqeror and many other programs. error message was something like : /tmp/mcop-root is set accessale to user

    After reboot I couldn't login to kde anymore.

    my username to login is jack

    how can set permissions of /tmp right again? and what camand should I use?
    I already tried : chown root /tmp but that didn't help.

    It's probably very simple but at this time I cannot use knoppix anymore.
    please help

  2. #2
    the command is

    Code:
    su  enter-root-passwd
    chown -R user.group /directory
    Good Luck

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2
    thanks ying-yang7 for the help,
    so in my case , for user jack I should use command:

    chown -R jack.group /tmp ?

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by jack-ren
    thanks ying-yang7 for the help,
    so in my case , for user jack I should use command:

    chown -R jack.group /tmp ?

    i think that shoud be:

    chown jack.jack /tmp -R

    jack as user and jack as group (maybe gorup jack is unnessesery...). try...

Similar Threads

  1. Permission problem running a compiled C++ program
    By palmerac in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 08-01-2005, 09:00 AM
  2. Permission problem on my directory
    By BDelph in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-17-2005, 09:10 PM
  3. Mounting/Write-Permission problem.
    By Slay3r in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 07-26-2004, 11:45 PM
  4. Permission problem after installing OpenOffice binary
    By ezuk in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-22-2004, 05:42 PM
  5. login problem
    By schunn99 in forum The Lounge
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-13-2004, 05:46 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$169.99



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex picture

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex

$159.99



DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND

$179.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor

$59.99



AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked picture

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked

$79.99



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$250.00



Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS picture

Dell T7810 Workstation 8-Core 2.40GHz E5-2630 v3 No RAM GPU HDD OS

$259.98