The best distro is the vanilla debian, how come there is no entry for it ?
Debian. My particular flavor, Kanotix sid. Been on a little distro whoring spree and frankly nothing else can touch the apt package install system.
First tried SUSE. Yast, I am sorry is very overrated and like every other downloadable-version of a commercial distro is intent on installing pkgs from cd or forget it. Yes, I got it going but it is still clunky, clumsy, non-intuitive. Apt has it beat hands-down and kpackage leaves Yast in dust.
Now trying Mandrake. Nopers, same deal. First you have the elusive CD4 (which can be remedied) on the downloadable version. It is tied so heavily to CD apron strings for installing it's just annoying as hell. Even the things that come on CD, it felt like I was playing that sequel to Myst (name escapes me) where you are changing CDs every other click or so. And for whatever reason I was stuck in KDE 3.2 land - totally not me.
Haven't tried Fedora yet, have the iso's but if it is as disappointing as the other rpm package distros I don't think it is worth the time for the install. Only plus is that all the redhat experts at work may be able to provide some more help than on my debian based distros. But I manage.
The best distro is the vanilla debian, how come there is no entry for it ?
jupp, Debian Stable or Slackware for me in 98-99% of cases when not using knoppix.
Toms-root-boot for remainder.
Kanotix (Debian)--->Knoppix(Debian)--->Slax(Slackware)--->Morphix(Debian)--->Mandrake---->Fedora---->Suse
So the answer is:
Any Debian will do. Why? Because of the superior of apt.
![]()
![]()
![]()
Looks like from our small sampling we are debian loyalists (then again, this is a knoppix forum).
Was a debian-based distro your "first-time"?
Maybe that has something to do with it.
my first working install was Slackware3.5 or4 that was after two failed Redhat and one disastrous at some graphic intensive dist, do not remember what distributon, perhaps suse? (nothing worked as it should). then i got a laptop without cd and did a Debian Netinstall (only way i could thik of to get a decently lagre install without having to use 20-200 floppies)...
My first try was Redhat, but it did not last long. I struggled installing packages. I then turned to Xandros (debian based) which was pretty good but certainly not cutting edge. I also made forays into Mandrake, Fedore Core, and Mepis. Mepis (debian based) was the best of the lot. But i must say knoppix has given me the best performance and the least trouble so far.Originally Posted by nishtya
KNOPPIX was my first attempt as that was the only way to have linux on my Windows occupied disk. It became the bootstrap. Then I discovered that I can install debian with debootstrap on to a big loopback file. The rest just fell into place naturally.Originally Posted by nishtya
Another reason I choose debian is that it has full distro for other arch like mipsel(my WRT54G has it and I am hacking it) or ARM(the new NSLU2 has it and I intend to hack it too).
debootstrap and network install(all depends on the magical dpkg/apt-get) rules which is why I said vanilla debian is still the best. KNOPPIX and the like are great for general PC, but won't work for things like Xbox(which I put a copy of debian on it) or WRT54G or NSLU2 or colinux.
debian...
I did try a few others when I was first trying out Linux. I know I tried Mandrake (which seemed ok), Lindows (which seemed too windowsy), and Slackware (which I couldn't figure out at the time) and a few others. To be honest, I originally went with Knoppix just because it was one of the few distros that would work with my old HPNA drivers (which I now realize is just because Klaus still uses gcc2 to compile his kernels unlike most of the other distros). Now that I can compile my own kernel I suppose I could use any of them, but I'm still using debian. I just don't see how the others could possibly be better.![]()

IBM System X3850-X5 Server w/4x Intel Xeon E7-4870 CPU , 512 GB DDR3 RAM,NO HDD
$1299.99
Unused IBM 09P0037 MAINBOARD For RS/6000 7044-170 P-Series
$375.00
IBM EMC 091-000-091 17 Inch Rackmount LCD Keyboard KVM Console 03N7012
$109.99
IBM QRadar xx29 2x Xeon E5-2650v4 2x 900W PSU M5120 12x 3.5" Bay Server No RAM
$179.99
IBM Power 8 S822L Server 8247-22L POWER8 Enterprise 256GB RAM 2x 00KV626 CPU
$999.99
IBM System x3550 M3 1U Server 2x Xeon E5645, 192GB RAM, 2x 300GB HDD (7944-AC1)
$150.00
IBM SYSTEM X3500 M3 SERVER 7380AC1 TOWER Server XEON E5620 8GB RAID SEE NOTES
$110.30
IBM 4262 SYSTEM x3200 Tower - HDD Wiped, NO OS
$80.00
IBM ADP Server Type 7870 AC1 NO HDD | 128GB RAM PC3L | 2 x Xeon E5620
$199.99
Lot of 3 IBM 00JY196 ServeRAID M1210 PCI Express SAS SATA Storage Controller
$68.99