Quote Originally Posted by gowator
----------------------------------
Can you believe they are fighting and being sue'd over
using the magician ..LOL but I agree 100% about what
sort of impression/trust does it give.
----------------------------------
Oh really, , not SCO by any chance, chuckle....


Just on the cdrom and dependency resolution thing
mentioned further up. I figure it's nothing that wouldn't
already be known,
but i'll mention it any way, just in case any one reading
this is wondering. If i'm not mistaken,
deb/dselect/apt will want to find some descripter info
on the cd, to verify it as an
official source
location. It's been a while since iv'e had much to do
with initialising a cd set. But,... if an official cd
set was handy, a person could use the files on one
of those to template that, Can't remember off hand
their names. I think one may be called ".dist".
It should be on the cd's root though. It will
basically just contain a descrition string that will
be added to a file in

"/var/lib/apt".

Probably "cdrom.list", then apt dselect will read
the cd, and place a file, something like...


"Debian%20GNU_Linux%203.0%20r0%20%5fWoody%5f%2 0-%
20Official%20i386%20Binary-1%20(20020718_dists
_unstable_contrib_binaryi386
_Packages"


in the "lists" subdirectory.

A bit of friggin around, true , but...
deb will be deb .

I generally just use "apt-get --dry-run install
<package>"

to get a depends list, then head for the "ftp" site
and then just back-port from src on a seperate partition.
All tree'd up to suite debs' helper scripts...

I know doing bulk upgrades/updates is basically what
"apt" is all about. And people haven't got a lot
of time to spend on stuff like this generally. But,
smaller, contained updating can be a lot of fun,
and informative.

Still, ... i wish apt-get, when pointed at a src
file would also reveal depends. But what the heck,
it's only a minor thing, and i get to learn so much
more, than i otherwise would

I was, very pleasently surprised too, with knoppix.
When i finally got "v3.3" to boot up,... to suite
my setup, (screen-resolution/vga, etc) and found

"sid" .

jm