View Poll Results: Favorite secondary distro?
- Voters
- 18. You may not vote on this poll
-
Other Debian-based
-
SUSE
-
Fedora/Red Hat
-
Mandrake
-
Senior Member
registered user

Originally Posted by
nishtya
gowator, I did, indeed, go to easy urpmi and went through the whole shebang there. urpmi still looked for CDs. Finally had it that it would look on the net for a lousey package and then it griped about dependencies. Oh well.
To be fair, debian makes you jump through hoops to install pkgs from CD. When I was still on dialup I would try to download at work on broadband and bring home on CD (with dependencies) and though apt would get the primary pkg from the CD it didn't want to look there for dependencies... it was added in sources and I tried a tool as well

Other than that, for me, debian and apt is best.
I still have mandrake on here and haven't given up on it. But it just pales in comparison to debian and I hope the devotees to this distro and its derivatives grow. It is great

really is. Look at lindows/linspire. They have former windows-only people that can only handle windows merrily CNR-ing. Yes, it is costing them and plain old apt may be somewhat crippled but it is still the apt system that is running CNR for them. Not bad.
removig the sources for CD's
urpmi.remove media -a (or Cd1,CD2 etc.) but this is on the easy urpmi site, just not so obvious...
on the dependancies, i would guess you didnt have contribs?
but I prefer apt myself ...
portage is also pretty good if you feel ready for Gentoo... and I hear good things about arch for bleeding edge packages...
Personally, i find the Magician logo used by
Mandrake a bit childish. And the "lets be a windows
clone" attemp, as made by the major distros, to be a
bit of a sell out. So, i just don't trust their
competence/integrity, just for those reasons.
Can you believe they are fighting and being sue'd over using the magician ..LOL but I agree 100% about what sort of impression/trust does it give.
Similar Threads
-
By mingano in forum General Support
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-25-2004, 10:50 PM
-
By lilsirecho in forum Other Live CDs
Replies: 0
Last Post: 12-10-2004, 08:57 PM
-
By Ander in forum General Support
Replies: 5
Last Post: 10-22-2004, 12:27 AM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb
$1671.47

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro
$316.61

Samsung 2.5" 870 EVO SSD SATA III 250GB 500GB 1TB Internet Solid State Drive Lot
$90.00

External SSD 1TB 2TB 4TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.0 Type-C High Speed PC Mac
$19.99

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM
$159.99

Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT1000MX500SSD1
$99.99

Netac 2TB 1TB 500GB Internal SSD M.2 NVMe PCIe3.0 Solid State Drive lot
$129.99

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb
$462.74

Western Digital 1TB 3.5" SATA III 7200RPM Desktop Hard Drive
$34.99

1TB SATA 7200RPM 3.5” Enterprise Hard Drive WD Hitachi HDD
$59.99