Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: My DSL connection disappears after shutdown.

  1. #1
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536

    My DSL connection disappears after shutdown.

    Every time I restart my computer and go into Linux my internet connection is gone and I have to reconfigure it everytime. I do not have to do this is windows. I have saved the configuration on floppys but I would like to know if there is a way to make it remember the connection without going through the floppy. I can quickly restart the connection but want it to stay so other people can connect without going through all the hassle of knowing how to do it.
    I'm trying to get this to be my primary OS and am having trouble with only the internet connection staying after a shutdown. Any help and suggestions would be appreciated. Thank You.

    I have tried pon, pump, pump -r and they don't work until I set the connection straight.

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    235
    Have you tried putting the configuration info for your nic(s) in /etc/network/interfaces? That would be the easiest way to have it saved across reboots. Unless the knoppix-autoconfig script resets it, then you'll have to edit that script to comment out where it would have reset /etc/network/interfaces.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Here is that file. What do I edit in it? etc/network/interfaces:
    # /etc/network/interfaces -- configuration file for ifup(, ifdown(

    # The loopback interface
    # automatically added when upgrading
    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback

    What would I comment out in the etc/init.d knoppix-autoconfig? I checked it but didn't know.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Posts
    788

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Thank you. By editing out the one line in knoppix-autoconfig and adding the other-

    broadcasting for IP.${NORMAL}"
    trap 2 3 11
    #pump -i $DEVICE >/dev/null 2>&1 &
    /etc/init.d/networking restart
    trap "" 2 3 11
    sleep 1
    echo " ${BLUE}(Backgrounding)${NORMAL}"

    Now it starts at reboot. Thank you very much.

Similar Threads

  1. alias entry disappears between boots
    By GaTk in forum General Support
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 10-28-2004, 10:43 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-14-2004, 12:11 AM
  3. Captive-NTFS just disappears when I try to use it.
    By OldPueblo in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 10-09-2004, 05:44 PM
  4. faulty shutdown for 3.4
    By antskip in forum General Support
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-09-2004, 10:15 AM
  5. Problems with x - Boot-shutdown... Boot-shutdown...Boot-shut
    By _CaLeB_ in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-31-2003, 06:20 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B  607-0103-C  607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++ picture

Apple Computer cards VTG 670-8020-B 607-0103-C 607-0291-C AST -Orange Micro ++

$169.00



Vintage Apple iMac G4 15

Vintage Apple iMac G4 15" Lamp 700MHz 512MB Mac OS X 10.4.6 W/ Pro Speakers

$300.00



Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations  Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981 picture

Vintage Apple II Avant-Garde Creations Super Shape Draw And Animate 1981

$295.00



Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed picture

Rare Vintage Macintosh Apple Wooden Disk Storage Box Dovetailed

$69.95



LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED picture

LARGE LOT Vintage Apple Macintosh Mouse Cables Accessories SCSI etc - UNTESTED

$80.00



Vintage Apple iBook G3 12.1” 500MHz 2001 Restored, SSD Upgraded Mac OS 9.2/OS X picture

Vintage Apple iBook G3 12.1” 500MHz 2001 Restored, SSD Upgraded Mac OS 9.2/OS X

$180.00



Lot of 3 VIntage  Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS picture

Lot of 3 VIntage Apple Computer Rainbow Logo Sticker Decal Macintosh 1980s NOS

$7.00



Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2 picture

Vintage Apple PowerBook 15” G4 “Aluminum” (1.25GHz/2gb/150gb/Tiger) 2

$109.99



Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9

Vintage Apple Monitor IIc 9" Green Monochrome 06/1985 A2M4090 October 1984 Stand

$275.00



Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681 picture

Vintage Apple Multiple Scan 15av Display Monitor M4681

$299.99