-
Junior Member
registered user
how to set up lilo of grub..
Hello all-
I installed knoppix on a second hd (primary slave). My master drive has winXP installed, so right now im booting from a floppy into linux, and everything is working fine (still setting up some stuff though).
Im just wondering how to go about setting up lilo or grub to dual boot. When i installed knoppix i sort of screwed up and didnt write lilo to the mbr on the second disk, only made the boot floppy. Can this be done after install? Ill probably continue to boot via floppy now, but id like to set this up as i get more comfortable with linux.
thanks alot
-jamie
-
Senior Member
registered user
you can boot into KNOPPIX and make the necessary configuration to /etc/lilo.conf and run lilo using that configuration.
I would advice you to tell lilo to install its boot sector to the linux partition rather than MBR(say /dev/hdb1). Then
dd if=/dev/hdb1 of=/mnt/cdrive/linux.b bs=512 count=1
where /mnt/cdrive is assumed to be mounted to the FAT partition that can be seen from XP loader.
Then reboot into XP and edit boot.ini and add the following line :
c:\linux.b="KNOPPIX"
and it would be fine.
As for how to configure lilo, read the manual or find or google it, that is not something I am good at.
-
This guy is in the same boat as me. He's saying that after the install process completes lilo dosent install. IDoes anyone know how to set up lilo via the command line, or with a utility? If I Google it with the serch term "lilo" I get a zillion zillion web pages, very few if any answer this question...
-
Senior Member
registered user
Post your exact hard drive setup, partitions etc.
rock
-
Junior Member
registered user
garyng-
Following your directions does this use the winXP bootloader? Will it give me a selection of winXP and knoppix (debian)?
thanks-
-jamie
-
Senior Member
registered user
It will still give you the XP loader on boot up but there will be an entry which will boot into LILO. But be very careful if you are working on the same partition(hda1, where the NT boot loader is), as additonal steps are needed which can be dangerous. I have accidentally wipe out my MBR(thus the whole HD).

Originally Posted by
jamesgf
garyng-
Following your directions does this use the winXP bootloader? Will it give me a selection of winXP and knoppix (debian)?
thanks-
-jamie
-
Senior Member
registered user
A thought just occured to me, I used to always make a copy of my mbr and save it to floppy, someone that has xp might want to try this, boot into knoppix, then as root use dd like this:
dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
then I could boot to the floppy mbr disk go into linux and copy the old mbr back using:
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
I can't guarantee this will work, and for sure I wouldn't do it as a test on an important machine. The first part should cause no problems, ie. copying the mbr to floppy, but the writing it back? ?? ? ??
...if it breaks you get to keep the pieces...
I just thought about something, I don't know anything about windows 2000 or xp, at school we have a busted win2000 machine, if you thought the mbr stuff would be the same for 2000 and xp I'll test this on that machine, as currently we are running knoppix on that machine, because win2000 will boot but will not allow logins.
rock
Similar Threads
-
By nhoxanh in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-13-2005, 10:43 AM
-
By phantomshado in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-14-2004, 06:45 AM
-
By madape in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 10:07 AM
-
By nxumdon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-22-2004, 03:38 AM
-
By arthur in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-11-2003, 05:09 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

🔀 Juniper Networks EX2300-C-12P 12× Gigabit PoE+ • 2× 10G SFP+ Compact Switch ⚡
$109.99

Juniper EX2300 12-Port Gigabit PoE+ Managed Network Switch P/N: EX2300-C-12P
$149.99

Juniper Networks EX3400-24T 24-Port Ethernet Switch w/Power Cord
$174.99

Juniper EX3400-24P 24-Port PoE+ GbE + 4-Port 1/10Gb SFP Switch
$245.00

Juniper MX204 +JUNOS and Dual Power Supply
$7299.99

Juniper Networks AP33-US Indoor Wifi6 (US Version) 5GHz: 4x4:4; 2.99
$24.99

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p Discounted Cosmetic
$79.86

Juniper EX2300-C 12 Port Compact Gigabit Switch EX2300-C-12p
$99.99

Juniper Networks AP33 Wireless Access Point Bluetooth WiFi 6 Cloud Managed NIB
$54.99

Juniper Networks EX2300-48P 48-Port Gigabit PoE Managed Ethernet Switch
$79.99