-
Senior Member
registered user
A thought just occured to me, I used to always make a copy of my mbr and save it to floppy, someone that has xp might want to try this, boot into knoppix, then as root use dd like this:
dd if=/dev/hda of=/dev/fd0 bs=512 count=1
then I could boot to the floppy mbr disk go into linux and copy the old mbr back using:
dd if=/dev/fd0 of=/dev/hda bs=512 count=1
I can't guarantee this will work, and for sure I wouldn't do it as a test on an important machine. The first part should cause no problems, ie. copying the mbr to floppy, but the writing it back? ?? ? ??
...if it breaks you get to keep the pieces...
I just thought about something, I don't know anything about windows 2000 or xp, at school we have a busted win2000 machine, if you thought the mbr stuff would be the same for 2000 and xp I'll test this on that machine, as currently we are running knoppix on that machine, because win2000 will boot but will not allow logins.
rock
Similar Threads
-
By nhoxanh in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-13-2005, 10:43 AM
-
By phantomshado in forum General Support
Replies: 1
Last Post: 02-14-2004, 06:45 AM
-
By madape in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 2
Last Post: 02-03-2004, 10:07 AM
-
By nxumdon in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 1
Last Post: 01-22-2004, 03:38 AM
-
By arthur in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
Replies: 5
Last Post: 09-11-2003, 05:09 PM
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules

Timberland Vintage Heavy Duty Brown Leather Messenger Satchel Crossbody Bag
$127.77

Vintage Computer - PC Innovation Intel 486DX2 - Dos Ver 6.2 Windows 3.1
$250.00

Vintage HP Hewlett Packard 2112A 21MX 1000 M-Series 16-Bit Minicomputer
$419.99

Vintage Jetway J-620BF Socket 370 Celeron AT Motherboard SiS 620 Brand New
$75.00

Vintage S-100 California Computer Systems cards Z80 cpu + ADS PromBlaster
$895.00

Lot of 12 Vintage 1960's Military Logic Cards PCB Set Germanium Transistors
$299.00

Vintage Precision Instruments 3-Button Mouse Serial With Floppy Driver
$20.00

VINTAGE - TANDY TRS-80 Radio Shack 2 Joystick Controllers w/ Box 26-3008 - NEW
$100.00

Sanyo DM 5012CM Solid State Data Display Monitor Working Vintage 1980s 80s
$169.99

Vtg 370CPU Rev 370 FC-PGA converter board With ECS Motherboard + CPU Lot
$70.00