Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 12

Thread: Getting floppy automount to work

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2

    Getting floppy automount to work

    I got floppy automount to work, but only for one user at a time, but that should easily be fixable.

    Change the auto.master file to:

    /mnt/auto /etc/automount.sh --timeout=3

    Change automount.sh

    *fat|msdos) options="${rw},uid=username,gid=username,umask=000 ";;
    ntfs) options="ro,uid=username,gid=username,umask=0222"; ;

    Where "username" is the name of the user you want to have access to the floppy.

    I don't know if these two are required, probably not, but that's what I had when I got it working:

    auto.misc has the line (comment out the other floppy line):

    floppy -fstype=auto,sync,user,umask=000 :/dev/fd0

    auto.mnt has instead of the original floppy line:

    floppy -fstype=auto,sync,user,umask=000 :/dev/fd0

    After all this, as root, do /etc/init.d/autofs restart, or reboot, and the floppy should work normally. Has anyone else had any other success with the floppy automounting?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3

    Getting floppy automount to work

    I, too, was unable to mount floppy after installing Knoppix 3.7, kernel 2.69. I made all the above
    changes, but to hopefully apply to all users, I changed the suggested:

    *fat|msdos) options="${rw},uid=username,gid=username,umask=000 ";;
    ntfs) options="ro,uid=username,gid=username,umask=0222"; ;

    where "username" is changed to the desired user, instead of "knoppix"

    with:

    *fat|msdos) options="${rw},umask=000";;
    ntfs) options="ro,umask=0222";;

    I found this suggestion in another forum.

    It seems to work. Using "users" or "user" for "username" didn't.

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Why do you want to auto mount the floppy anyway? Is this a hd install? You might have to create a device and delete the desktop icon. The icons that are there when first booting are usually just place holders so to say. cdrom cdrom1 and floppy anyway. They are links to nowhere. Sometimes the floppy might work, but this is uncommon after a fresh hd install. You have to create a new one by right clicking and create new device-->whatever you want-->and choose the approriate device. That works for the floppy, but when using the cdrom dvires, you have to symlink them to the device.

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    3
    Thanks for the reply rrfish72. I knew there had to be a better way.
    Yes this was a HD install. I intend to go back before the changes I made and use your
    advice.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    28

    Knoppix-3.7 and cdrom eject

    I did a hd-install of knoppix-3.7. Most of the things work except eject when used in use-mode (a user), says:
    umount: /dev/cdrom mount disagrees with entry in fstab
    eject: unmount of '/dev/cdrom' failed

    and /etc/fstab entry for /dev/cdrom is:
    /dev/cdrom /mnt/cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,user,noexec,noauto 0 0

    Any ideas?

    -ishwar

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Ish Rattan, did you create the entry for the cdrom in your fstab or was it put in automatically? Either way I would change it to:

    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0

    Then set the symlink to

    ln -sf /dev/scd0 /dev/cdrom

    You also might have to create a new mount point as:

    mkdir /cdrom

    Though it should already be there.

    Hope this helps.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    28

    Knoppix-3.7 and cdrom eject again

    I changed the entry for /etc/fstab to

    /dev/cdrom /cdrom iso9660 defaults,ro,users,noexec,noauto 0 0

    it is the original entry (hd-install time) except for users (it was user before).

    The symlink was there(and redid it just to make sure). /cdrom entry also exists.

    Eject still produces the same result :
    umount: /dev/cdrom mount disagrees with the fstab
    eject: unmount of '/dev/cdrom' failed

    -ishwar

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    Try apt-get update and apt-get install eject. Are you using the mouse right click thing to eject? Does the button on the drive itself work? Does the drive work?

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    28

    Knoppix-3.7 and cdrom eject

    I am not using the desktop icon but it gives a similar message.
    I was trying it from command line.

    The drive works (system was installed using it). As root, I can mount and
    unmount it the drive (with cd in it). I shall try the apt-get route.

    Thanks for help.

    -ishwar

  10. #10
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    You have to remove the cd also right, why not just press the drive eject button while you reach way way down there?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. USB Floppy on Tecra S1 will not work
    By rolelael in forum Laptops
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-12-2005, 12:36 PM
  2. Automount doesn't work after HD Install
    By ElChef in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 10-12-2004, 02:48 AM
  3. Getting floppy automount to work
    By Halcyon-X12 in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-03-2004, 07:28 AM
  4. Floppy automount problems
    By PiotrS in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 03-24-2004, 07:46 AM
  5. Automount doesn't work correctly?
    By bfree in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-21-2003, 06:53 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

pfSense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 8GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$184.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall picture

Firewalla Gold Pro - 10 Gbps Cyber Security Firewall

$680.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F P24286-03-13 Network Firewall Security Appliance

$155.75



Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key picture

Firewalla Gold Pro 10GbE Firewall Router with Rack Mount Ears and USB Key

$829.99



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed picture

Cisco Meraki MX67-HW Security Appliance Firewall NEW Unused Unclaimed

$202.50



NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX picture

NETGEAR ProSafe 8-Port Gigabit VPN Firewall FVS318G NEW IN BOX

$69.99