Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: I am a complete n00b to Linux - Network Connection question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2

    I am a complete n00b to Linux - Network Connection question

    Ok, here's the story: I just tried Knoppix 3.6 today on my old Windows 98 SE computer, and I got it running fine and everything. I try to load up the browsers they give me, but it just says "host not found," or something like that. I have a network between this computer and my XP one downstairs.. it's just a Microsoft LAN connection network thingy.

    ..how would I set the connection up with Linux?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2
    (I have this base, and this adapter).

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Connections between windows & linux systems are done with 'samba'. Search this forum and/or google for setup howto's. Easiest way is to use 'Linneighbourhood' which comes with Knoppix. Here is a couple of links to get you started:
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqNetwork
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqSambaQuick

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: I am a complete n00b to Linux - Network Connection quest

    Hmmm. I just checked out your links, it appears you have a wireless connection. Linux support for these is not outstanding. (read between the lines...this might be a toughie)
    I have found a few links:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/222353
    http://tuxmobil.org/pcmcia_ci10500.html
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11937
    I can't help much, don't use wireless.
    Good luck.

Similar Threads

  1. Complete newbie question re Knoppix customisation
    By MattS in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 04:13 PM
  2. Complete newbie question re Knoppix
    By MattS in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2005, 10:06 PM
  3. Serious n00b question
    By gburke1 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 03:39 AM
  4. Complete newbie question i alcatel speedtouch usb.
    By wisbeech in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 11:32 PM
  5. Knoppix / Damn Small Linux PCMCIA network card question.
    By convert in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 10:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Samsung 860 PRO  2TB 2.5

Samsung 860 PRO 2TB 2.5" SATA III V- NAND SSD MZ-76P2T0 86%-90% Health

$187.00



Blue Keyboard Folio Case with Keyboard for Samsung Tab / Samsung Tablet picture

Blue Keyboard Folio Case with Keyboard for Samsung Tab / Samsung Tablet

$50.00



Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/  64 gig/WIFI picture

Samsung Galaxy Tab Active 3/ 64 gig/WIFI

$85.00



Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem picture

Samsung Galaxy View Tablet 18.4 SM-T670/677A Charging Port 100% Original Oem

$98.99



RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro picture

RAM-HOL-SAM52CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock Samsung Tab Active4 Pro & Tab Active Pro

$81.99



RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2 picture

RAM-HOL-SAM60CPU RAM USB-C Powered Dock for Samsung Tab Active5 - 3 - 2

$81.99



RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4 picture

RAM-GDS-SKIN-SAM54-NG-1 RAM Mounts IntelliSkin® Next Gen for Samsung Tab Active4

$93.99



Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung  picture

Cell Phone Smartphone Computer repair banner poster sign iphone Samsung

$89.99



Samsung Chomrebook XE350XBA-K02US LCD Screen FHD Display 15.6

Samsung Chomrebook XE350XBA-K02US LCD Screen FHD Display 15.6" XE350XBA-K03US

$51.77



SAMSUNG ViewFinity S5 34

SAMSUNG ViewFinity S5 34" QHD Monitor 100Hz 5ms AMD FreeSync S34C50DGAN #BU4874

$154.59