Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: Using CUPS: client-error-not-possible

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4

    Using CUPS: client-error-not-possible

    Hi all,

    I configured an hp710 on knoppix and worked ok, but after installing it doesn't work anymore. I configured it again after install, yet with no luck: when I send something for it to print it doesn't show any error message at all, but doesn't print either. Using the cups web interface, when I ask it to print the testpage (or re-launch a job) it shows the error "error-client-not-possible".

    I have googled arouond and searched through these forums and still didn't find any solution...

    I'd be grateful if someone lent me a hand on that

    Thank you!

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I assume you've installed Knoppix to your hard drive. If you're using KDE you can do this:
    Open the Control Center>Look & Feel>Panel>Menus. Under 'available menus" you should see 'Print System'. Highlight it, then click the >> arrow in the center to put it under 'Selected menus' then 'apply' Next click your 'start application' button (the big "K"), you should see 'Print System' from which you can easily add a printer. I found this to be much easier than the CUPS interface when adding my HP printer. KDE might be a ram hog compared to xfce, fluxbox et. al. but it sure makes things easy.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4

    Already tried that...

    Hi

    Thanks for replying so soon However, I had had no problem at all adding the printer and it seems configured ok. I don't know which situations can cause the error i'm experiencing. I read that it may be because i'm out of quota (which can't be, i set up infinite quota) or that i am not allowed to use the printer (which i also checked, i added the user to the allowed list and checked it wasn't on the other one)

    Moreover, right after installing it doesn't print the test page either. No error and no print.

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I don't know alot about Linux printing but I do know that I thought I had configured my printer through CUPS but it never worked until I used the KDE print configuration. Anyway......gluck

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Location
    Podunk, Idaho, USA
    Posts
    470
    IIRC, on a hd install cupsys is not being started so the CUPS daemon is not running, open a terminal window or go to a console and as root try this command:

    /etc/init.d/cupsys start

    see if it gives you any error messages, if not, it should now be running, so go back and try your printer again.

    If your printer now works you'll need to make a link in /etc/rc5.d to startup the cups daemon, again either in a terminal or from a console as root do this:

    ln -s /etc/init.d/cupsys /etc/rc5.d/S99cupsys

    HTH

    rock

  6. #6
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2003
    Location
    England
    Posts
    177
    I have had the same problem, trying to configure an HP720C in hdd-installed Knoppix V3.1 2003-01-20. (And, just like for grimborg, it worked OK "straight out of the box" when running Knoppix from the CD).
    For the next step, after those given so far in the thread, I copied the configuration file from
    /etc/ppa/pnm2ppa.conf.hp720 to /etc/pnm2ppa.conf
    and now it works.
    (The system had produced a choice of 3 configuration files in /etc/ppa/ , namely
    pnm2ppa.conf.hp1000
    pnm2ppa.conf.hp720 (contains line "version 720 # 710, 712, 722 also acceptable")
    pnm2ppa.conf.hp820 ,
    depending on your hardware you might want to un-comment and 'tune' the defaults).

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    4

    I got it working at last...

    Just before I read that last reply i changed the sources.conf to get the testing/unstable packages and did an apt-get upgrade and surprisingly the printer worked

    Thank you all for your replies!

    ̉scar.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Thanks for taking the time to post your solution grimborg.

Similar Threads

  1. terminal server: Bus error on client ifconfig
    By skyywalk in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 03-07-2005, 09:41 AM
  2. Can't get CUPS to work
    By Razor-X in forum General Support
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-16-2004, 06:09 AM
  3. CUPS Problem
    By RE Dude in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-02-2003, 12:24 PM
  4. Knoppix Terminal Services client nfs error
    By pau1knopp in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 10-16-2003, 02:47 PM
  5. CUPS Problem
    By Ray in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 04-29-2003, 02:40 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR picture

Dell PowerEdge M630 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680 v4, 2F3MP , 4GDP5 ,R10KJ ,JVFVR

$95.20



Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working picture

Dell PowerEdge M640 Blade Barebone Server Dell P/N: HHB006 Tested Working

$149.99



Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric picture

Cisco UCS 5108 Blade Server Chassis Enclosure N20-C6508 4x PSU 8x Fans 2x Fabric

$174.99



Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5

Dell Poweredge VRTX 25Bay 2.5" 2x PERC 8, 2xCMC, I/O 1GB Pass Through, 4x PS

$578.08



Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5

Dell PowerEdge VRTX 2.5"x25 Bay Blade Enclosure 4x1600W + 4X M640 (4X Blades)

$1599.99



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 2.8ghz 20-Cores | 128GB

$149.99



HP ProLiant BL460c Gen9 DUAL E5-2690v3 DDR4 ECC 2x CADDY NO DRIVES NO MEMORY/RAM picture

HP ProLiant BL460c Gen9 DUAL E5-2690v3 DDR4 ECC 2x CADDY NO DRIVES NO MEMORY/RAM

$30.00



Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU picture

Datto S4P10 1U Blade Rack Server Intel Xeon D-2143IT 2.20GHz 48GB DDR4 4-Bay PSU

$197.76



Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD picture

Dell PowerEdge M620 Blade Server 2x Xeon E5-2680v2 256GB DDR3 RAM NO HDD

$349.99



Lenovo ThinkSystem SN550 Blade | 7X16 | 01KP356 | Drives and RAM not included picture

Lenovo ThinkSystem SN550 Blade | 7X16 | 01KP356 | Drives and RAM not included

$299.99