Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: I am a complete n00b to Linux - Network Connection question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2

    I am a complete n00b to Linux - Network Connection question

    Ok, here's the story: I just tried Knoppix 3.6 today on my old Windows 98 SE computer, and I got it running fine and everything. I try to load up the browsers they give me, but it just says "host not found," or something like that. I have a network between this computer and my XP one downstairs.. it's just a Microsoft LAN connection network thingy.

    ..how would I set the connection up with Linux?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2
    (I have this base, and this adapter).

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Connections between windows & linux systems are done with 'samba'. Search this forum and/or google for setup howto's. Easiest way is to use 'Linneighbourhood' which comes with Knoppix. Here is a couple of links to get you started:
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqNetwork
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqSambaQuick

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: I am a complete n00b to Linux - Network Connection quest

    Hmmm. I just checked out your links, it appears you have a wireless connection. Linux support for these is not outstanding. (read between the lines...this might be a toughie)
    I have found a few links:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/222353
    http://tuxmobil.org/pcmcia_ci10500.html
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11937
    I can't help much, don't use wireless.
    Good luck.

Similar Threads

  1. Complete newbie question re Knoppix customisation
    By MattS in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 04:13 PM
  2. Complete newbie question re Knoppix
    By MattS in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2005, 10:06 PM
  3. Serious n00b question
    By gburke1 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 03:39 AM
  4. Complete newbie question i alcatel speedtouch usb.
    By wisbeech in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 11:32 PM
  5. Knoppix / Damn Small Linux PCMCIA network card question.
    By convert in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 10:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Acer Aspire 14

Acer Aspire 14" AI Copilot+PC Laptop Core Ultra 5 226V Gen 4 ARC 16GB 1TB Refurb

$480.63



Dell Latitude 14

Dell Latitude 14" Laptop Computer Intel i5 Up To 32GB RAM 1TB SSD Windows 11 Pro

$372.48



WAVLINK Thunderbolt 5 Dock, 13-in-1 TB5 Docking Station with NVMe M.2  picture

WAVLINK Thunderbolt 5 Dock, 13-in-1 TB5 Docking Station with NVMe M.2

$162.98



Dell Latitude 5591 Hex Core i7-8850h@ 2.6 GHz  15.6

Dell Latitude 5591 Hex Core i7-8850h@ 2.6 GHz 15.6" 16gb NEW 1TB SSD "GRADE A+"

$499.00



External SSD 1TB 2TB  Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac picture

External SSD 1TB 2TB Portable Hard Drive USB 3.1 Type-C High Speed PC Mac

$16.99



Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16

Acer Predator Helios Neo 16S AI 16" i9 275HX 2S RTX 5070 Ti 32GB 1TB SSD Refurb

$1794.16



SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM picture

SAMSUNG T7 Portable SSD 1TB Indigo Blue USB 3.2 Gen2 External MU-PC1T0H/AM

$159.99



Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD picture

Fanxiang 1/2/5/10Pcs 2.5'' SATA SSD Lot 1TB 2TB 4TB 512GB 256GB TLC Internal SSD

$129.99



SGIN 15.6

SGIN 15.6" Laptop 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Win 11 Intel i3-10100Y Backlit Keyboard FHD

$335.99



2026 NEW SGIN 15.6

2026 NEW SGIN 15.6" Laptop Win11 Intel i3 16GB RAM 1TB SSD Wi-Fi 6 RJ45 USB-C

$302.99