Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: I am a complete n00b to Linux - Network Connection question

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2

    I am a complete n00b to Linux - Network Connection question

    Ok, here's the story: I just tried Knoppix 3.6 today on my old Windows 98 SE computer, and I got it running fine and everything. I try to load up the browsers they give me, but it just says "host not found," or something like that. I have a network between this computer and my XP one downstairs.. it's just a Microsoft LAN connection network thingy.

    ..how would I set the connection up with Linux?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2
    (I have this base, and this adapter).

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981
    Connections between windows & linux systems are done with 'samba'. Search this forum and/or google for setup howto's. Easiest way is to use 'Linneighbourhood' which comes with Knoppix. Here is a couple of links to get you started:
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqNetwork
    http://www.knoppix.net/docs/index.php/FaqSambaQuick

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    May 2003
    Posts
    981

    Re: I am a complete n00b to Linux - Network Connection quest

    Hmmm. I just checked out your links, it appears you have a wireless connection. Linux support for these is not outstanding. (read between the lines...this might be a toughie)
    I have found a few links:
    http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/history/222353
    http://tuxmobil.org/pcmcia_ci10500.html
    http://www.knoppix.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11937
    I can't help much, don't use wireless.
    Good luck.

Similar Threads

  1. Complete newbie question re Knoppix customisation
    By MattS in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-14-2005, 04:13 PM
  2. Complete newbie question re Knoppix
    By MattS in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 04-10-2005, 10:06 PM
  3. Serious n00b question
    By gburke1 in forum Networking
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-09-2005, 03:39 AM
  4. Complete newbie question i alcatel speedtouch usb.
    By wisbeech in forum Hardware & Booting
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-18-2004, 11:32 PM
  5. Knoppix / Damn Small Linux PCMCIA network card question.
    By convert in forum General Support
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 06-15-2004, 10:10 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 8-Core Atom C3758 2.2GHz 8GB DDR4 64GB SSD 8x NIC QAT AES VPN

$145.00



OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense Firewall 8-Core Atom C3758 4GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI VPN

$95.00



OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI picture

OPNsense Firewall 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB DDR4 RAM 64GB SSD 8x 1Gbe QAT AES-NI

$195.00



SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED picture

SonicWall TZ280 Firewall 03-SSC-6933 Advanced Edition 3YR NEW SEALED

$999.99



HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD picture

HP 2x 10GB OPNsense Quad Core i5-8500 8GB RAM 3Port Gigabit Firewall AES-NI SSD

$199.95



Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J picture

Palo Alto PA-220 Next-Gen Firewall 520-000309-00J

$40.00



Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN picture

Fortinet FortiGate 60F FG-60F UTM UTP License Until 2027 Network Security FW VPN

$209.99



OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN picture

OPNsense pfSense 16-Core Atom C3958 16GB ECC RAM 512GB SSD 8-Port QAT AES-NI VPN

$258.00



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Barracuda NextGen CloudGen Cloud Based Firewall F280 BNGF280a w/ 8.3.1 Firmware picture

Barracuda NextGen CloudGen Cloud Based Firewall F280 BNGF280a w/ 8.3.1 Firmware

$89.99