Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 103

Thread: HOWTO: Remaster the easy way using menu based scripts

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15
    Got it,
    its not a perfect solution and I dont know why it works/didnt works.

    Ill be glad if anyone will find a better way to make it work and without the errors it gives.

    stage 1:
    to make your menu and X-windows the way you want I do as follow:

    vi /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession

    comment out lines 125 - 154

    and save the file.
    (comment out is putting # at the start of each line).

    stage 2:

    vi /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig

    at line 1181 after the fi in new line i add:
    mkdir /home/knoppix
    cp -R /etc/skel/.??* /home/knoppix
    chown -R knoppix:knoppix /home/knoppix


    make steps 2 & 3 and burn the iso.

    thanks again for the author for making this HOWTO,
    it saved me alot of time and I hope the steps here will help others (even if its not perfect solution.)

    thanks.

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    57
    I found the solution just tried it now and it worked in my case without any errors. Just before making the Compressed Filesystem step in this How To I reboted the machine and boot into the normal environment made modifications in menu using menu editor and then from root shell I synchronised the runnig system, with the system on hard drive.

    Code:
    sudo rsync -a /home/knoppix/ /mnt/hda2/remaster/etc/skel/
    then boot again from run level 2

    and run the script.

    worked just fine.

  3. #3
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    47
    Many people are complaining about the menus (including me). I don't know what method you are using to test your remaster (most poeple might have tried "knoppix 2" and then at the command prompt "startx", I guess). Doing so is indeed a problem as the menus are restored to default. The solution I found was to boot into "knoppix", fire a nested X server from one terminal, chrooted into my remaster in other terminal, mounted proc, exported DISPLAY and run strartx. Changed the menus and exited. Similarly "su - knoppix" if you want to customize menus for user "knoppix". Then logout, in the chroot environment "rm -rf /etc/skel" and then "mv /home/<user> /etc/skel" and "chown -R root:root /etc/skel". It works.

    I've even changed the compressed file system name as well the default user, but I don't had to change anyting in "/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession" except for replaying resync command with cp where the profiles of "mozilla" were created.

    If you are changing the default user to something else, you'll have to take care of "xsession" file too that exports a global "USER" variable.

    I'm looking forward for response.

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    57
    Quote Originally Posted by raj1478
    The solution I found was to boot into "knoppix", fire a nested X server from one terminal, chrooted into my remaster in other terminal, mounted proc, exported DISPLAY and run strartx. Changed the menus and exited. Similarly "su - knoppix" if you want to customize menus for user "knoppix". Then logout, in the chroot environment "rm -rf /etc/skel" and then "mv /home/<user> /etc/skel" and "chown -R root:root /etc/skel". It works.
    Hello the way i wrote before dunno why worked only once. Dunnot really understand, but just wanted to ask can you go a bit more in detail about your way.

    Thanks

    Nikolay

  5. #5
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    47
    Quote Originally Posted by Nikolay
    Hello the way i wrote before dunno why worked only once. Dunnot really understand, but just wanted to ask can you go a bit more in detail about your way.

    Thanks

    Nikolay
    Just follow the steps: -
    a. Fire two root shells.
    b. In first shell type "Xnest -ac -geometry 800x600 :1
    c. In the second root shell: -

    1. chroot into the source.
    2. mount proc.
    3. mkdir /home/knoppix
    4. cp -Rp /etc/skel /home/knoppix
    5. chown -R knoppix.knoppix /home/knoppix
    6. su - knoppix
    7. export DISPLAY=Knoppix:1.0
    8. startkde
    9. Make necessary changes in the menus etc.
    10. logout.
    11. exit user knoppix
    12. As root type "rm -rf /etc/skel"
    13. mv /home/knoppix /etc/skel
    14. chown -R root:root /etc/skel
    15. umount proc
    16. exit chroot
    17. compress and burn.

    (All this has been narrated in detail in this HOWTO)

    Make sure the changes in menus etc. are reflected in /usr/share/applnk directory.

    Tell me the result.....

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    57
    Hello Finally tried it but didn't succed I was following remastering process described in this How To I was chrooted in remaster (removing/installing some programs) when I press Alt+F2 to open another shell where I typed Xnest -ac -geometry 800x600 :1 which didn't work then alright i decide to still continue mount proc but I used "mount -t /proc" then when I start export DISPLAY I think it gave some error as well don't remmber exactly so kde couldnt start as it couldn't find a DISPLAY=Knoppix:1.0.
    What did i do wrong? What could go wrong?

    Thanks

    Nikolay

  7. #7
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    47
    Hi,
    I think you had booted into knoppix in run level 2. All the process I had narratted was to be carried within X windows. You had to open root terminal from the knoppix menu twice to accomplish the task.

    The command Xnest is used to start another Xserver from within the X window system. I had given the error while exporting the display before X server at :1 was not availble.

    Try the comands after booting into X window (run level 5) system then post the results...

  8. #8
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    57
    Hello Didn't work again. Everythig went fine but at the end changes didn't stick, I suspect that the problem can be in
    1) me booting to wrong run level ( i just booted to normal system, pressed enter on boot )
    2) I edited line 128 in 45xsession after i made changes
    3) used menu editor ( maybe need to use something else
    Can any of this be the case? And i got a different color theme in remestered cd, even though i didn't change it.

    Thanks

    Nikolay

  9. #9
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    15
    dont make it complicated.
    its very simple.

    vi /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession

    comment out lines 125 - 154

    and save the file.
    (comment out is putting # at the start of each line).

    stage 2:

    vi /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig

    at line 1181 after the fi in new line i add:
    mkdir /home/knoppix
    cp -R /etc/skel/.??* /home/knoppix
    cp -R /etc/skel/* /home/knoppix

    chown -R knoppix:knoppix /home/knoppix


    make steps 2 & 3 and burn the iso.


    this will solve all your problems.

  10. #10
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    57
    Hello Thanks for this solution, I tryed today but I got a bit confused, in a step two when I have to add a new line after the fi in line 1181, I dunnot have such thing in congif, maybe its cause I usind different version of knoppix 3.6?

    Thanks

    Nikolay

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. remaster scripts require boot.img - none on Knoppix 3.6
    By acer0001 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-25-2005, 05:38 PM
  2. Remaster knoppix based
    By ix86i in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 10:21 PM
  3. Remaster based on what version of knoppix?
    By Steve F in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2004, 03:28 AM
  4. HOWTO:Duke Nukem 3D with CD-based Knoppix 3.2
    By bitey in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2003, 09:05 AM
  5. Easy way to remaster?
    By rihad in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-02-2003, 06:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray picture

Dell 6P85J 4TB ST4000NM0063 7.2k 6Gb/s 3.5” SAS SED Hard Drive with Tray

$39.99



Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5

Western Digital HUS726T4TAL5204 4TB 7.2K SAS 12Gb/s 3.5" 512e HDD NetApp X375A

$64.00



HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD picture

HGST Ultrastar HUS726040AL5210 4TB 7200RPM SAS 12Gb/s Enterprise HDD

$41.00



Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5

Tested WD Ultrastar DC HC520 12TB 7.2K RPM SATA 6Gb/s 3.5" HDD HUH721212ALN600

$239.99



Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive picture

Seagate Barracuda ST1000DM003 1 TB SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$23.99



Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5

Toshiba DT01ACA100 1 TB 3.5" SATA III 3.5 in Desktop Hard Drive

$24.99



Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE picture

Dell ST6000NM0034 1HT27Z-150 NWCCG 6TB SAS 3.5 7.2K ENTERPRISE SERVER DRIVE

$68.99



Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5

Seagate Exos ST2000NX0253 HDD 2TB SATA 7.2K 2.5" 512b/s

$58.00



20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5

20TB 7200 RPM SATA III Internal 3.5" White Label Hard drive

$349.99



DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5

DELL 2TB Enterprise HDD (7200RPM, 3.5", SATA III, 128MB Cache) HUS722T2TALA600

$49.95