Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
Results 51 to 60 of 103

Thread: HOWTO: Remaster the easy way using menu based scripts

  1. #51
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    India
    Posts
    47
    Hi,

    I'm facing a strange problem. After booting into the GUI (KDE) the remastered version of KNOPPIX 3.3 sometimes sorts icons automatically but sometimes not. I couldn't figure out the solution because there is no change in script "/etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession" in the area where it creates the autostart entry for sorting icons.

    Can anyone help?????

  2. #52
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    Thanks. This is great job.

    I was able to start kde in the remastered zone. I made many changes to the desktop. I installed a new theme and new icons style (Nuvola). While using the scripts (./knoppix-remaster /mnt/hda2/remaster ) and start X as user knoppix, I am able to see these changes, but when I compress the remastered distro, It did not pick them up. I went back to the scribts environment and I was able to see them. Is there a file that controls this that I have to modify manually?

  3. #53
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    Quote Originally Posted by knopx4me
    Thanks. This is great job.
    You're welcome.
    Quote Originally Posted by knopx4me
    I am able to see these changes, but when I compress the remastered distro, It did not pick them up. I went back to the scribts environment and I was able to see them. Is there a file that controls this that I have to modify manually?
    Please check the HOWTO. Did you edit the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession file so it would rsync ALL the files from /etc/skel to /home/knoppix? Did you move /home/knoppix to /etc/skel before creating the compressed filesystem?

    If you have done those, then I have noticed that some people have had very similar problems to what you just experienced. My usage of knoppix is a straight boot off the CD with typically no cheatcodes. I do not use a persistant /home or boot via tohd or fromhd. Since knoppix can be booted & used in multilple scenarios (straight boot, persistant home, etc), the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession file appropriately has multiple rsync entries to copy the appropriate /etc/skel files to /home/knoppix. The HOWTO describes how to edit ONE of the rsync entries and this entry is applicable to ONLY the straight boot (no persistant home). If people are running into problems with the /home/knoppix no being populated with the correct files, then it is most likely the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession file that needs to be adjusted.

    I hope this helps.
    James

  4. #54
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    57
    dont make it complicated.
    its very simple.
    vi /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession
    comment out lines 125 - 154
    and save the file.
    (comment out is putting # at the start of each line).
    stage 2:
    vi /etc/init.d/knoppix-autoconfig
    at line 1181 after the fi in new line i add:
    mkdir /home/knoppix
    cp -R /etc/skel/.??* /home/knoppix
    cp -R /etc/skel/* /home/knoppix
    chown -R knoppix:knoppix /home/knoppix
    make steps 2 & 3 and burn the iso.
    this will solve all your problems.
    Used this solution and worked fine, the only question I have after the remastering system was in german language How can i change it? And Earlier before there was some errors mentioned about this way? what kind of errors?

    Thanks

    Nikolay

  5. #55
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Posts
    103
    UnderScore

    You are right. I managed to get my GamesKnoppix remastered with all options I needed by editing /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession file except knemo issue. I found the right knemorc file in /KNOPPIX/etc/skel/.kde/share/config but it is not copied to /home/knoppix/.kde/share/config. I added a line to copy it to /home/knoppix/.kde/share/config

    126: if [ -z "$DONTCHANGE" ]; then
    127: # No persistent homedir, copy everything
    128: rsync -Ha --ignore-existing /etc/skel/ $HOME/ 2>/dev/null
    129: rsync -Ha --ignore-existing /etc/skel/.kde/share/config/knemorc $HOME/knoppix/.kde/share/config/ 2>/dev/null
    130: [ "$USER" = "knoppix" ] && rsync -Ha --ignore-existing /usr/share/knoppix/profile/{.kde*,Desktop} $HOME/ 2>/dev/null

    I added line 129 above, but did not work. Is this the right solution? Any other solution. I would like to get rid of knemo setup every time I start the CD. Thanks.

  6. #56
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    6
    Thanks again for sharing this Howto.

    I did it and it worked for me the first time. I remastered 3.4, while I wait for 3.8 to come in the snail mail.

    I just did a multisession cdrom, burned iso as first session. Then burned next session with knoppix.sh and configs.tbz. I am working on a script to restore settings. (I used CDRW's to practice with...)

    J

  7. #57
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    17

    remaster scripts and 3.8.1

    I tried to use the scripts on the recently released 3.8.1, but get input/output errors when the scripts are extracting Knoppix to the remaster directory. It occurs at approx 17% progress. Am I doing something wrong or is the new verison different enough to cause problems?

    - Paul

  8. #58
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1
    When I get Input/Output errors... its because the CD's physically scratched/damaged. I'd reburn the ISO and see what happens.

  9. #59
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    17

    I/O errors

    Even if the CD boots correctly? I will try another disk, but that seems like an odd error when the disk works.....

    - Paul

  10. #60
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    As for the errors ay 17%, I remastered 3.8.1 today and had no I/O errors.
    Proud is right. I/O errors usually indicate either a bad CDR, burnt too fast, or a too sensitive CDROM drive. Reburning the CDR at a slower speed usually fixes the problem.

    I will update this HOWTO this week to accomodate 3.8.1.

    I hope this helps.
    James

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. remaster scripts require boot.img - none on Knoppix 3.6
    By acer0001 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-25-2005, 05:38 PM
  2. Remaster knoppix based
    By ix86i in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 11-11-2004, 10:21 PM
  3. Remaster based on what version of knoppix?
    By Steve F in forum Ideas
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-21-2004, 03:28 AM
  4. HOWTO:Duke Nukem 3D with CD-based Knoppix 3.2
    By bitey in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-01-2003, 09:05 AM
  5. Easy way to remaster?
    By rihad in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 07-02-2003, 06:18 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM picture

Lot 100 SK hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-23400 DDR4-2933Y ECC Reg Server Memory RDIMM RAM

$9599.00



Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit picture

Netac DDR4 32GB 16GB DDR4 3200MHz UDIMM C16 Desktop Internal Memory RAM Kit

$99.99



SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK picture

SK Hynix 32GB 2RX4 PC4-2666V DDR4 RDIMM Server Memory RAM, HMA84GR7AFR4N-VK

$169.95



SK hynix 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-2666V SO-DIMM 260-Pin HMA82GS6JJR8N-VK 1913&1913 picture

SK hynix 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 PC4-2666V SO-DIMM 260-Pin HMA82GS6JJR8N-VK 1913&1913

$99.99



WARIS 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 288-Pin UDIMM Desktop RAM H4737130 picture

WARIS 32GB (4x8GB) DDR4-3200 PC4-25600 288-Pin UDIMM Desktop RAM H4737130

$119.99



Samsung M393AAK40B42-CWD7Y 128GB 2S4rx4 PC4-2666V-RB2-12-DB1 SERVER RAM ECC picture

Samsung M393AAK40B42-CWD7Y 128GB 2S4rx4 PC4-2666V-RB2-12-DB1 SERVER RAM ECC

$550.00



RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED picture

RAMAXEL Lenovo 32GB LPDDR5X CAMM2 7500MHz Laptop RAM | UNTESTED

$445.00



A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G picture

A-Tech 8GB DDR3 1600 PC3-12800 Laptop SODIMM 204-Pin Memory RAM PC3L DDR3L 1x 8G

$21.68



Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM picture

Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB 16GB 32GB 1866MHz PC3-14900 Desktop RAM Memory DIMM

$85.00



LOT OF 5 RAM STICKS-SAMSUNG/SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2133 (16GBX5=75GB TOTAL) picture

LOT OF 5 RAM STICKS-SAMSUNG/SK Hynix 16GB 2Rx8 PC4-2133 (16GBX5=75GB TOTAL)

$345.00