Results 1 to 8 of 8

Thread: dvd rom seen but not usable

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    dvd rom seen but not usable

    I believe I just have a mounting problem here. Had to shuffle some of my roms around and replace my cd burner. Before, I had an omega usb dvd/cd-rw rom and it went south so I replaced it with an internal iomega cd-rw. Now, the dvd rom listed on my desktop as cdrom1 sees the files but I am getting cannot open vmg errors in all dvd players. How do I mount this drive as my dvd player

    thanx

    skip

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    260
    Hi Skip, What dvd player are you trying to run? Xine? If I am understanding your problam the dvd player doesn't play your movie. Most distos of linux come with the dvd players not working you need to grab two files "libdvdread" & "libdvdcss" and install them to your system doing ./configure make make install. I don't believe these files are available using apt-get. Maybe libdvdcss is? I guess you could use kpackage to install them too. There are some legal issues about using linux to watch your movies.
    You may also need to select the correct device in the player you are using. If the desktop icon is seeing the files on the disk then the device is mounted

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    To get libdvdcss:

    wget http://download.videolan.org/pub/lib...2.8-1_i386.deb
    dpkg -i libdvdcss2_1.2.8-1_i386.deb

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Austin
    Posts
    70

    thanks...fixed the problem

    the players were looking for /mnt/dvd or something like that. right clicked the cdrom1 on my desktop, which is my dvd player, copied the path it showed and pasted it into the box where /mnt/dvd was and it worked fine. Is this a problem specific to knoppix or the device? Seems that when I had the usb dvd rom It played without any adjustment. BTw, thank you for the link for those two files. those are good ones to burn and keep aside. Never know when you are gonna reinstall or rebuild your distro. seems always a PITA to find them when you need them.

    you guys rock

    helios

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    help with this too

    This post is for rrfish72.....In reference to the library files that helios17 needed, can you give me step by step help with getting and installing these 2 files? I want to use my DVD player too, but can't cause of same problem. Do i go to Konsole as root and type wget, and then that web address? And afterwards type the dpkg -i so on......I dont understand this....please help!!!! bob

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Posts
    1,323
    Type the commandlines as rrfish72 posted or add the following line to /etc/apt/sources.list and apt-get it
    deb ftp://ftp.nerim.net/debian-marillat/ unstable main
    If you have testing in apt.conf change unstable to testing.

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Posts
    536
    bob58, just copy and paste and hit enter again.

  8. #8
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    thank you

    Wow thanks guys! Finally I am able to get the dvd player to work! I followed instructions, popped a dave mathews cd/dvd in and I am watching a cool concert as we speak!

    One thing though. I got a message on screen saying "Your system seems slow. The amount of dropped frames is too high". It does seem a little bit flakey but not bad....I have a 900Mhz laptop with 512MB ram.....how can that not be enough???? I am also running FLUXBOX to save resources. Any suggestions???? Is there some changes I should make to the XINE setup screen????? I dont understand alot of the technical choices in there....... bob

Similar Threads

  1. Can't create usable Linux partitions on Windows HD
    By Refugee in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-31-2004, 04:21 AM
  2. Unable to load any usable ISO8859 font [Knoppix DVD-Edition]
    By TheCyberDude in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-19-2003, 06:31 PM
  3. Debian 3 deb CDs usable with hdinstall ?
    By freddY in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-19-2002, 10:05 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack picture

USB 3.0 Flash Drive 32GB 64GB 128GB Memory Stick Thumb Stick Lot Pack

$826.09



Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC picture

Microsoft Windows 11 Pro 64bit - New Sealed – Flash USB 1 PC

$49.99



1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot picture

1/ 10/ 100pcs USB 2.0 2GB, 4GB ,8GB ,16GB ,32GB ,64GB 128GB USB Flash Drives Lot

$269.10



Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet picture

Zero Trace Pen: All-in-one Tor Network Anonymous Drive + Cryptocurrency Wallet

$147.00



Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB picture

Lot 5/10pcs USB Flash Drive Memory Stick 1MB-64GB Pendrive Thumb Drive 8GB 32GB

$385.00



USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB picture

USB Type-A Flash Drive Metal Memory Stick High Speed USB Drive 128GB 256GB 512GB

$8.47



LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s picture

LOT 10x SanDisk 32GB ULTRA USB 3.0 flash drive SDCZ48-032G 32 GB read 100 MB/s

$39.80



Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick picture

Wholesale 5/10/100PCS 1GB 2GB 4GB 8GB 16GB 32GB USB 2.0 Flash Drive Memory Stick

$218.79



128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service picture

128GB USB 14-in-1 MacOS bootable Installer repair recovery tech support service

$39.99



SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic picture

SAMSUNG FIT PLUS 128GB USB 3.1 Flash Drive - fully working & authentic

$24.95