Results 1 to 4 of 4

Thread: Help with shell script + startup

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2

    Help with shell script + startup

    I need help writing a simple script, I need it first to mount a USB stick for reading and writing, then I need it to copy some files from the machines hard drive on to the usb stick.

    Also I need to add this file on to a knoppix cd image file and get it to automatically run when knoppix boots.

    Is this possible and can any one help?

    thanks

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    Long Island, NY USA
    Posts
    1,510
    I don't have a usb drive so I will guess at the commands
    Code:
    mkdir /mnt/sda1
    mount -t ntfs -o ro /dev/hda1 /mnt/hda1 && mount -t vfat /dev/sda1 /mnt/sda1 && cp -pv /mnt/hda1/somefolder/somefile /mnt/sda1
    Anyhow, the script for mounting & copying files is a simple task compared to making your own knoppix CD. I suggest that you look at my HOWTO in the remastering & customization forum HOWTO: James's remaster method using Fabian's remaster-menu. On the remaster, you could edit the /etc/X11/Xsession.d/45xsession script to call your script. 45xession is executed after the hardware detection is complete and right before knoppix starts X and brings up KDE. It controls how the /home/knoppix folder gets populated at each bootup.
    I hope this helps.
    James

  3. #3
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    237

    help with code

    Wow....maybe you UNDERSCORE can help me with some scripting. I posted a message on a Linux scripting board and no one has replied so I am wondering. I need help learning scripts that display text files and how to make a menu giving choices of those text files....all to run in Konsole or on a command line only machine....I am wanting to do what I like doing in DOS, but trying to do it in LINUX....bob

  4. #4
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    2
    thanks mate

Similar Threads

  1. Run a shell script after booting
    By mpweber77 in forum Customising & Remastering
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 08-01-2005, 06:18 AM
  2. running shell script
    By splittik in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 03-22-2005, 07:38 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-05-2004, 03:51 AM
  4. Startup Script doesn't run
    By orcslayer in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-03-2004, 02:04 AM
  5. Anybody knows how to deamonize a shell script ?
    By ktheking in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-29-2003, 12:34 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray picture

(New) AMD Ryzen 7 5700X 8 Core 16 Thread AM4 Unlocked 3.4 GHz CPU OEM Tray

$169.99



AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core 16-Thread 3.8GHZ/4.7GHZ picture

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core 16-Thread 3.8GHZ/4.7GHZ

$225.00



Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor picture

Intel Core i9-9900K SRG19 3.60GHz 16MB 8-Core LGA1151 B Grade CPU Processor

$175.00



AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 7 7700X 8-Core, 16-Thread Unlocked Desktop Processor

$250.00



AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor picture

AMD Ryzen 5 PRO 4650GE 100-000000153 6-Core 3.30GHz 8MB AM4 CPU Processor

$59.99



Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2  / SR19W   3.30GHz 25MB  8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011 picture

Intel Xeon E5 - 2667V2 / SR19W 3.30GHz 25MB 8-Core CPU Socket LGA2011

$30.00



AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked picture

AMD Ryzen Threadripper PRO 3945WX 12-Core 4.0GHz sWRX8 CPU NEW Tray Unlocked

$79.99



AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY picture

AMD FX 8350 8-CORE 4.00GHz CPU FD8350FRW8KHK SOCKET AM3+ *QTY

$39.99



DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5

DELL OPTIPLEX 3280 21.5" AIO Core i5 10500T 8GB 256GB NVMe Windows 11 -NO STAND

$179.99



Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex picture

Home Assistant Server | 8GB RAM | 128GB SSD | Intel i5 Quad-Core | Dell OptiPlex

$159.99