Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Configuring Swap

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6

    Configuring Swap

    Hello,

    I am having difficulty getting Knoppix to use swap space.

    I have two harddrives with one partition each, hda1 is ext3 and hdb1 is vfat. Each has 4GB of free space. Knoppix recognizes each and nicely creates icons for them on the desktop.

    I want Knoppix to use hdb1 for swap space, but the included tool (Knoppix->Configure->Swap File Configuration) insists I have no DOS partitions available. I have tried running the tool with hdb1 mounted (and unmounted) and read-write (and read-only). No luck.

    I wouldn't particularly care about the swap space, but I am trying to remaster Knoppix and the cloop compression requires more memory than I physically have.

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    CubeDweller

  2. #2
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    I have never been able to get Knoppix to boot if it required DOS swap space. I did get it to work with a Linux swap file though. I prefer cfdisk for such tasks.

  3. #3
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6
    Hello,

    Well, cfdisk allowed me to create a partition, and mkfs.vfat allowed me to format. The Knoppix swap file configuration tool even recognized the partition and created a 'knoppix.swp' file. I have 256mb RAM and a 2GB swap file. (Note: I also tried making hdb1 an ext2 swap partition, but the Knoppix swap file configuration tool wouldn't recognize it.)

    All seemed good until I tried to use the swap to cloop a modified Knoppix. (Note: The modifications are minor: removal of the KDevelop package and a change of the desktop wallpaper).

    I am using the Knoppix.net Remastering Howto. As the cloop compression runs, Linux slowly closes applications, then eye-candy, then X, then shuts down completely. I theorize this is because I am running out of memory, and Linux is automatically killing things to open up more memory.

    Strangely, the Knoppix swap file configuration tool refuses to see any DOS partitions again (even though hdb1 is still sitting there with it's 'knoppix.swp' file).

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    CubeDweller

  4. #4
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    colorado springs, colorado
    Posts
    1,933
    Since remastering Knoppix is something I've never done I don't even have a wild guess for you. Sorry.

  5. #5
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --What is the result of ' swapon -s '?

    Anyhow, here's what to do for swap; if partition, it should be type 82 (Linux Swap - not ext2) and at least 128MB in size.

    Example:
    ' /sbin/fdisk -l '

    Disk /dev/hdc: 128 heads, 63 sectors, 4849 cylinders
    Units = cylinders of 8064 * 512 bytes

    Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
    /dev/hdc2 1 41 165280+ 82 Linux swap

    --To format and activate the partition:
    ' mkswap -c /dev/hdc2 '
    ' swapon /dev/hdc2 '
    ' swapon -s '

    --Now if you have to create a Knoppix swapfile by hand:
    ' df '
    ' mount /mnt/hda1 -oremount,rw ' == In your case, hdb1
    ' cd /mnt/hda1 '
    ' dd if=/dev/zero of=knoppix.swp bs=2M count=64 ' == Create 128M swapfile
    ' mkswap knoppix.swp '
    ' swapon knoppix.swp '
    ' swapon -s '

    --The knoppix.swp file should be auto-recognized next time you reboot. Post results, and progress with your remastering project.

    Quote Originally Posted by CubeDweller
    Hello,

    Well, cfdisk allowed me to create a partition, and mkfs.vfat allowed me to format. The Knoppix swap file configuration tool even recognized the partition and created a 'knoppix.swp' file. I have 256mb RAM and a 2GB swap file. (Note: I also tried making hdb1 an ext2 swap partition, but the Knoppix swap file configuration tool wouldn't recognize it.)

    All seemed good until I tried to use the swap to cloop a modified Knoppix. (Note: The modifications are minor: removal of the KDevelop package and a change of the desktop wallpaper).

    I am using the Knoppix.net Remastering Howto. As the cloop compression runs, Linux slowly closes applications, then eye-candy, then X, then shuts down completely. I theorize this is because I am running out of memory, and Linux is automatically killing things to open up more memory.

    Strangely, the Knoppix swap file configuration tool refuses to see any DOS partitions again (even though hdb1 is still sitting there with it's 'knoppix.swp' file).

    Any ideas?

    Thanks,
    CubeDweller

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    6
    Thanks, Dave. That did the trick.

    This remastering was merely a test to see if I could do it.
    Strangely, every subdirectory in the /cdrom directory has disappeared and the mozilla icon changed, but everything else seems to work.

    Thanks,
    CubeDweller

  7. #7
    Senior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    USA, IL
    Posts
    1,041
    --Also, I forgot to mention - if you're doing RAM/CPU intensive stuff, boot with ' knoppix 2 ' (without GUI) and you'll save a ton of RAM for the intensive process.

    Quote Originally Posted by CubeDweller
    Thanks, Dave. That did the trick.

    This remastering was merely a test to see if I could do it.
    Strangely, every subdirectory in the /cdrom directory has disappeared and the mozilla icon changed, but everything else seems to work.

    Thanks,
    CubeDweller

Similar Threads

  1. configuring lilo.
    By pcorajr in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-11-2004, 12:41 AM
  2. Configuring LILO
    By legal in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 01-15-2004, 04:44 PM
  3. Configuring firewall
    By Viro in forum Networking
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-21-2003, 12:43 AM
  4. Configuring a mouse
    By standmatt in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-28-2003, 09:37 PM
  5. Configuring X
    By garyng in forum General Support
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 04-26-2003, 02:11 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A picture

Western Digital WD Blue 3D NAND 500GB 2.5in SATA III Internal SSD WDS500G2B0A

$44.99



SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE picture

SSD 880EVO SATA III 2.5 4TB INTERNAL STATE DRIVE

$214.99



M2 2280 PCIe 4.0 solid-state drive high-speed storage device 1080P RO 2TB NGFF picture

M2 2280 PCIe 4.0 solid-state drive high-speed storage device 1080P RO 2TB NGFF

$99.00



128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos picture

128TB External SSD Solid State Drive Hard Drive Disk PC Phones Mac Games Videos

$97.60



Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5

Crucial MX500 500GB 2.5" SATA III Internal SSD CT500MX500SSD1

$52.99



Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot picture

Netac 2TB 1TB 512GB 256GB Internal SSD 2.5inch SATAIII Solid State Drive lot

$549.00



2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON picture

2 PACK 128 GB SSD M.2 2280 SATA Solid State Drive Major Brands, Samsung, LiteON

$28.80



M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health picture

M.2 SATA SSD 2280 128GB 256GB 512GB major brands | Very Good health

$35.99



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB, SATA III, 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive - Black...

$30.00



Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5

Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SSD MZ-76E250 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive

$39.99