Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: Remastered 3.6 iso is bigger (even I don't add nothing)

  1. #1
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11

    Remastered 3.6 iso is bigger (even I don't add nothing)

    I successfully remastered a few version of KNOPPIX, but this version I cannot. My new iso is too big to write on CD, I try to copy source KNOPPIX dir and make iso and the size id bigger too. Is there any problem with this version of KNOPPIX ?

  2. #2
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    70
    If I recompress an untouched V3.6 I get a larger iso that won't fit on a CD also. Since I am removing almost everything, I didn't worry about it. There is an option to the compresser to try to get the most compression but instead of taking 35 minutes when not using the option it took about 14 hours and it only saved a couple percent of space. It was not worth it for my configuration since I am compressing about 300 megs down to a 124 meg iso and can easily fit on a mini CD. All my remasters boot and run from my test partition including recompressing the whole distribution. If your remaster won't run maybe there is something you need to change to your scripts when remastering V3.6

  3. #3
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11
    Yes, I know I can remove some unwanted things, but in this version of KNOPPIX must be an error, because all of earlier version works fine after remastering (I mean without need to removing) . I don't undestand.
    From version 3.4 there is one bug with Czech support in KDE, in knoppix-autoconfig.sh , so I need only to make change in this file and remaster, but without success .... DAMN

  4. #4
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    37
    I don't think there's an error. It's just that this latest version of Knoppix pushes the size limit more than the other versions you tried to remaster. Therefore, unless you take care to get maximum compression, the iso won't fit.

    You may find the easiest things to delete are some of the language files for KDE. They are big, plentiful and mostly not needed for anything specific enough to require remastering. Deleting one or two you won't be using should do the trick.

  5. #5
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11
    How is possible original iso have good sized iso, and I don"t make any change and my remastered is is larger ? Is there any unknown solution to make remastered iso with correct size and with all features in original ?
    Which method of remastering used an author of original ISO ?

  6. #6
    Member registered user
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Posts
    70
    Here are the sizes I get for V3.6:

    The download iso 733,499,392
    The burned CD 733,499,392

    The KNOPPIX file on CD 725,253,780
    Recompressed with -b option 733,916,879
    Recompressed with out -b 754,579,405

    The -b option takes a lot longer to run than without and I would only use it if I had to get that little bit extra in order to fit.

    There is a remaster script around here that includes reordering the files that are compressed to speed up the booting process. It may be that compression percent is sensistive to where the different files are in relation to each other during the compression stage.

  7. #7
    Junior Member registered user
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    11
    OK, I can try -b option,


    Thanks

Similar Threads

  1. Win98 doesn't like it bigger
    By snarkbait in forum MS Windows & New to Linux
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 08-05-2005, 04:00 AM
  2. Make 1.44MB floppies bigger
    By Chromatic Distortion in forum Tips and Tricks
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 06-30-2005, 02:05 AM
  3. Video Resolution to small how to make it bigger?
    By goudiemark in forum Hdd Install / Debian / Apt
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-19-2004, 10:06 PM
  4. Desktop is bigger than my screen. How do I fix?
    By onzey in forum General Support
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 06-23-2003, 11:51 PM
  5. Bigger Screen
    By DavidTempler in forum General Support
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 05-22-2003, 04:52 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  


Vintage Military Aerospace Double-Sided Logic Board Gold Ceramic ICs Hybrids picture

Vintage Military Aerospace Double-Sided Logic Board Gold Ceramic ICs Hybrids

$89.95



Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra picture

Vintage Computer Keyboard Northgate OMNIKEY Ultra

$120.00



Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used picture

Lot of 2 Vintage Plextor PX-43CS SCSI CD-ROM Caddy Drives + 4 Caddies Used

$55.99



Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board. picture

Vintage Hewlett Packard HP 13181-60074 Circuit Card Assembly / Interface Board.

$135.37



Vintage Apple Comp Rainbow Black Canvas Leather Laptop Briefcase Messenger Bag picture

Vintage Apple Comp Rainbow Black Canvas Leather Laptop Briefcase Messenger Bag

$49.00



Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot picture

Original Vintage Old Style STANDARD Black CD Jewel Case (Heavy Duty) 90g Lot

$316.95



Eclazul Halloween Vintage Stickers Bulk - 50 Pcs 2.0-3.5 inches, Multicolor picture

Eclazul Halloween Vintage Stickers Bulk - 50 Pcs 2.0-3.5 inches, Multicolor

$14.52



Vintage Military Aerospace FLAP CONTROL Circuit Board Hybrid Modules Gold ICs #2 picture

Vintage Military Aerospace FLAP CONTROL Circuit Board Hybrid Modules Gold ICs #2

$189.95



VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED picture

VINTAGE COLLECTIBLE Comp USA Maxtor 20 GB 3.5 Inch EIDE Hard Drive NEW SEALED

$500.00



HP 5060-8359 8K solid state semiconducter memory HP 2100/1000 Vintage 1974 picture

HP 5060-8359 8K solid state semiconducter memory HP 2100/1000 Vintage 1974

$135.36